Corporate entry Melbourne Biomedical Precinct Office (c. 2019 - )
- c. 2019
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
- 766 Elizabeth Street, Melbourne
In 2019 the State Government of Victoria Department of Jobs, Precincts and Regions was established. The Office of the Melbourne Biomedical Precinct sits within this department. Its aim is to support collaboration and development of the Melbourne Biomedical Precinct.
The Daniel Andrews Labor Victorian State Government identified a number of 'priority sectors' in which to invest and develop. In March 2016 the Victorian State Government published Medical Technologies and Pharmaceuticals Sector Strategy explicitly designating the medical technology and pharmaceuticals sector a priority sector and outlining policy directions to support it accordingly.
The Government had also been identifying what it referred to as 'National Employment and Innovation Clusters' (Plan Melbourne, 2017). National Employment and Innovation Clusters are geographical areas that "offer significant opportunities for employment, economic and investment growth for the state"(Melbourne Biomedical Precinct,2017).
In 2019 the State Government of Victoria Department of Jobs, Precincts and Regions was established. The Office of the Melbourne Biomedical Precinct sits within this department. It appears the Melbourne Biomedical Precinct developed organically over many years beginning with the establishment of The Royal Melbourne Hospital in 1848 and The University of Melbourne in 1853. According to the Melbourne Biomedical Precinct website (c.2019) there are over 40 hospitals, medical research institutes, biotechnology organisations and Universities in the precinct whose geographical proximity has supported collaboration and is a key strength for the sector.
- Plan Melbourne (Victoria State Government, 2017), https://www.planmelbourne.vic.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0007/377206/Plan_Melbourne_2017-2050_Strategy_.pdf. Details
- Department of Economic Development, Jobs, Transport and Resources, State Of The Sector: Medical Technologies and Pharmaceuticals (Victorian Government Printing Office, 2017), https://economicdevelopment.vic.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0006/1505184/10875-DEDJTR-EDEI-Medical-Technologies-State-of-the-Sector_WEB.pdf. Details
- Doran, Patrick and Thomson, Russell, Economic Impact Analysis - Victorian Medical Technologies and Pharmaceuticals Sector (Centre for Transformative Innovation, Swinburne University of Technology, 2017), https://economicdevelopment.vic.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0006/1536558/Economic-Impact-Analysis-Victorian-Medical-Technologies-and-Pharmaceuticals-Sector-February.pdf. Details
- Department of Economic Development, Jobs, Transport and Resources, Medical Technologies and Pharmaceuticals Sector Strategy, Victorian Government Printing Office, March 2016, https://www.business.vic.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0010/1275454/Medtech-and-Pharma-Strategy-web-version-20160308.PDF. Details
- Melbourne Biomedical Precinct Office, Melbourne Biomedical Precinct: From Research Engine To Economic PowerHouse, Victorian Government Printing Office, 2019, https://www.melbournebiomed.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/DPC_MBP-Strategic-Plan_WEB.pdf. Details
- 'Establishment', in Melbourne Biomedical Precinct, 2017, https://www.melbournebiomed.com/the-melbourne-biomedical-precinct-office/establishment/. Details
Created: 8 January 2019, Last modified: 9 January 2019