Biographical entry Blackwood, Robert Rutherford (1906 - 1982)
FIE Aust, LL.D.
- 3 June 1906
South Yarra, Victoria, Australia
- 21 August 1982
Brighton, Victoria, Australia
- Civil engineer and Industrialist
Sir Robert Blackwood was Chancellor of Monash University 1961-1968 and Chairman of Dunlop Australia Ltd 1972-1979. He was President of the Royal Society of Victoria 1973-1974.
Robert Blackwood's research into the strength of electric arc welding between 1928 and 1932, that gained him a Master of Civil Engineering, contributed significantly to the adoption of electric arc welding, and to the development of the first Australian Standards for Welding in Steel Frames Buildings.
He was Research engineer, 1933-36, Technical Manager, 1937-46, and General Manager 1948-66, Dunlop Rubber Aust. Ltd, Melbourne. Professor of Mechanical Engineering, University of Melbourne 1947-48. Chairman, Interim CI 1958-61. Chancellor of Monash University 1961-68. Trustee, National Museum Victoria 1964-78. Chairman, Dunlop Australia Ltd 1972-79. President, Royal Society of Victoria 1973-74. Knighted 1961. Wrote Monash University: the First Ten Years, 1968.
- Education - Completed Bachelor of Electrical Engineering (BEE), University of Melbourne
- Award - John Melvin Memorial Research Scholarship, University of Melbourne
- 1928 - 1932
- Career position - Testing Officer, Engineering School, University of Melbourne
- Education - Completed Bachelor of Civil Engineering (BCE), University of Melbourne
- Award - Stawell Research Scholarship in Civil Engineering, University of Melbourne
- 1930 - 1933
- Career position - Lecturer in Agricultural Engineering, University of Melbourne
- Education - Master of Civil Engineering (MCE), University of Melbourne
- June 1961
- Award - Knight Bachelor (KtB), In recognition of service to the Melbourne University.
- 1975 - 1982
- Award - Foundation, Fellow, Australian Academy of Technological Sciences
- Rae, I. D., 'Blackwood, Sir Robert Rutherford (1906-1982)' in Australian Dictionary of Biography, vol. 17 (Melbourne: Melbourne University Press, 2007). http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/blackwood-sir-robert-rutherford-12219. Details
- 'From University to Dunlop Rubber: Robert Rutherford Blackwood, M.C.C., B.E.E., A.M.I.E.Aust', Smith's Weekly (1947), 15, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article234633959. Details
- Wikidata, http://www.wikidata.org/entity/Q7342140. Details
- VIAF - Virtual International Authority File, OCLC, https://viaf.org/viaf/91261462. Details
- Sir Robert Rutherford Blackwood (3 July 1906 - 21 August 1982), Monash University, 2011, http://monash.edu.au/mapa/venues/rbch/blackwood.html. Details
- 'Blackwood, Robert (1906-1982)', Trove, National Library of Australia, 2009, https://nla.gov.au/nla.party-458693. Details
- Blackwood, Robert R. Portrait
Joanne Evans and Ken McInnes
Created: 24 August 2000, Last modified: 17 October 2019
- Foundation Supporter - Royal Society of Victoria