Biographical entry Forrest, James Alexander (1905 - 1990)
- 10 March 1905
Kerang, Victoria, Australia
- 26 September 1990
- Company director and Lawyer
Sir James Forrest completed a five-year articled clerks' course at the University of Melbourne and was admitted to practice in 1930. Three years later he was admitted to partnership in Hedderwick Fookes & Alston and began to consolidate his reputation as an outstanding young commercial lawyer. In 1950 Forrest was invited to join the board of Australian Consolidated Industries Ltd. and in 1953 he became Chairman. He went on to become Director of many other companies and organisations. In 1977 Forrest was elected a special Fellow of the Australian Academy of Science (FAA).
- Career position - Filing Clerk at Hedderwick Fookes & Alston
- 1925 - 1929
- Education - Five-year articled clerks' course completed at the University of Melbourne
- Career position - Admitted to practice (as a Barrister and Solicitor)
- 1933 - c. 1950
- Career position - Partner in Hedderwick Fookes & Alson
- c. 1940 - c. 1945
- Career position - Flight Lieutenant in the Royal Australian Air Force Intelligence section
- 1945 - 1957
- Career position - Director of the branch Board of the AMP Society
- 1950 - 1953
- Career position - Board member of Australian Consolidated Industries Ltd.
- 1950 - 1959
- Career position - Board member of the predecessor of the National Bank of Australasia Ltd.
- 1953 - 1977
- Career position - Chair of Australian Consolidated Industries Ltd.
- 1957 - 1977
- Career position - Chairman of the branch Board of the AMP Society
- 1961 - 1977
- Career position - Director of the AMP Society Board
- Award - Knighted
- 1969 - 1980
- Career position - Chair of the National Bank of Australia
- 1970 -
- Career position - Board member of Western Mining Corporation
- 1970 -
- Career position - Chairman of Alcoa of Australia Ltd.
- Award - Fellow of the Australian Academy of Science (FAA)
- Rogers, D. W., 'James Alexander Forrest 1905-1990', Historical Records of Australian Science, 8 (4) (1991), 245-248. http://www.publish.csiro.au/paper/HR9910840245.htm. Details
Created: 20 October 1993, Last modified: 5 March 2018
- Foundation Supporter - Committee to Review Australian Studies in Tertiary Education