Biographical entry Kelso, Alexander Edward (1894 - 1943)
- 6 June 1894
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
- 12 January 1943
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
- Civil engineer
Alexander Kelso, MM MCE AssocMInstCE AMIEAust, was Engineer of Water Supply for the Melbourne and Metropolitan Board of Works (MMBW) from 1935-1943. He supervised the construction of the O'Shanassy weir, the Silvan dam and designed the Upper Yarra dam. In the siting and foundation design for the Silvan dam, he pioneered geo-technical engineering. When it was designed, the Upper Yarra dam was one of the largest earth filled dams in the world.
During the Second World War he was the chief engineer to the engineering section of the US army in Australia; was technical adviser to the Minister of the Army; and was a member of the Business Advisory Panel.
During the First World War he served in France under Sir John Monash, was wounded and gassed and was awarded the Military Medal for gallantry in the field. He received a commission in 1918.
As engineer for the Country Roads Board, in 1922, he was involved with the construction of the bridge over the Barwon River at Geelong.
In 1934 he presented a paper to the Institution of Civil Engineers "The Construction of Silvan Dam, Melbourne Water Supply". He was also Chairman of Melbourne Division and a Member of Council of the Institution of Engineers, Australia; and a member of the Faculty of Engineering and of the Standing Committee of Convocation of the University of Melbourne.
- 1909 - 1912
- Education - Scotch College, Melbourne
- 1916 - 1918
- Career position - War Service, 10th Field Company of Engineers, AIF, France, under Major W.J.B. McCormack
- Award - Military Medal for gallantry in the field
- Career event - Foundation Associate Member (AMIEAust), Institution of Engineers Australia
- c. 1919
- Award - The Argus engineering Scholarship, University of Melbourne
- 1919 - c. 1920
- Career position - Hydraulic engineer, Hydro-Electric Power Department, Tasmania
- Education - Bachelor of Civil Engineering (BCE), University of Melbourne
- Award - Stawell Scholarship for Research in Engineering, University of Melbourne
- 1920 - c. 1921
- Career position - Assistant engineer, Ouse Diversion Works, Hydro-electric Power department, Tasmania
- 14 December 1920
- Career event - Associate Member (AssocMInstCE), Institution of Civil Engineers, London
- Education - Master of Civil Engineering (MCE), University of Melbourne
- 1921 - 1922
- Career position - Resident engineer, Hume Reservoir Works
- 1922 - c. 1924
- Career position - Engineer for bridges, Country Roads Board, Victoria
- c. 1924 - 1927
- Career position - Resident engineer, O'Shannassy dam, MMBW, Victoria
- 1927 - 1930
- Career position - Resident engineer, Silvan dam, MMBW, Victoria
- 1930 - 1931
- Career position - Senior Construction engineer, Sewerage, MMBW
- 1931 - 1934
- Career position - Assistant engineer of Sewerage, MMBW, Victoria
- 1934 - 1936
- Career position - Assistant engineer of Water Supply, MMBW, Victoria
- 1936 - 1943
- Career position - Engineer of Water Supply, MMBW, Victoria.
- 1939 - 1940
- Career position - President, Melbourne Division, Institution of Engineers, Australia
- 'Obituary. Alexander Edward Kelso. 1894-1943.', Minutes of the Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers, Institution of Civil Engineers, https://doi.org/10.1680/ijoti.1944.13978. Details
Created: 6 June 2019, Last modified: 25 July 2019