Biographical entry Bird, Trevor Stanley (1949 - )
- 27 August 1949
Donald, Victoria, Australia
Trevor Stanley Bird is a prominent Australian radiophysicist. Appointed to the CSIRO Department of Radiophysics in 1983, over time he was appointed Chief Scientist of the CSIRO ICT (Information and Communications Technology) Centre and eventually became a CSIRO Fellow.
He is considered an expert in satellite technology. His pioneering work on the AUSSAT-B antenna in the 1980s helped to radically improved the efficiency and profitability the satellite industry.
In 1998 he designed the multibeam feed array for the Parkes radio telescope for which he was awarded the CSIRO Medal.
- Education - Bachelor of Applied Science (Hons 1), University of Melbourne
- Education - Masters of Applied Science, University of Melbourne
- 1976 - 1978
- Career position - Postdoctoral Research Fellow at Queen Mary College, University of London
- Education - Doctor of Philosophy, University of Melbourne
- c. 1978 - c. 1983
- Career position - Lecturer in the Department of Electrical Engineering at James Cook University, Townsville
- 1982 - 1983
- Career position - Consultant at Plessey Radar, United Kingdom
- Career event - Employed by the CSIRO Department of Radiophysics
- Award - CSIRO Medal for the development of an Optus-B satellite spot beam antenna, co-recipient
- Award - CSIRO Medal for the multibeam antenna feed system for the Parkes radio telescope
- Award - IEEE Third Millennium Medal for outstanding contributions to the IEEE New South Wales Section
- Award - HA Wheeler Applications Prize Paper Award of the IEEE Antennas & Propagation Society, co-recipient
- Award - Centenary Medal for service to Australian society in telecommunications
- Award - Named Professional Engineer of the Year by the Sydney Division of Engineers Australia
- 2004 - ?
- Career position - Editor-in-Chief of the IEEE Transactions on Antennas & Propagation
- 'Bird, T S (19490827-)', Trove, National Library of Australia, 2009, https://nla.gov.au/nla.party-462981. Details
Created: 22 February 2012, Last modified: 3 October 2012