Biographical entry Butcher, Alfred Dunbavin (1915 - 1990)
- 3 June 1915
Geelong, Victoria, Australia
- 28 May 1990
- Zoologist and Conservationist
Alfred Butcher was Director of Fisheries and Wildlife Victoria 1949-1973. He was involved in a number of conservation activities.
Born Geelong, 3 June 1915. Died 1990. CMG 1978; AO 1987. Educated University of Melbourne. Biologist, Fisheries and Game Department 1941-47; Chief Inspector, Fisheries and Wildlife Victoria 1947-49, Director 1949-73; Deputy Director of Conservation Victoria 1973-78. State Executive, CSIRO 1964-78; President, Royal Society of Victoria 1971-72; Trustee, World Wildlife Fund (Australia) 1979-84; Chairman, Zoological Board of Victoria 1947- .
Errata: Death date erroneously published as 1992, confirmed as 1990 and altered in this record on 11 October 2000.
State Library of Victoria, Australian Manuscripts Collection
- Alfred Dunbavin Butcher - Records, MS 13595; State Library of Victoria, Australian Manuscripts Collection. Details
- Butcher, A. Dunbavin, 'Le Souef, Albert Sherbourne (1877-1951)' in Australian Dictionary of Biography, Bede Nairn and Geoffrey Serle, eds, vol. 10 (Melbourne: Melbourne University Press, 1986), pp. 78-80. http://www.adb.online.anu.edu.au/biogs/A100075b.htm. Details
- Lake, P. S., 'Butcher, Alfred Dunbavin (1915-1990), Biologist' in Australian Dictionary of Biography, vol. 17 (Melbourne: Melbourne University Press, 2007), pp. 171-172. http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/butcher-alfred-dunbavin-alf-12273. Details
- Anderson, Fay, 'A.D. Butcher: A Man for all Seasons', Australasian Science, 19 (4) (1998), 56. Details
- Wikidata, http://www.wikidata.org/entity/Q24204948. Details
- 'Butcher, Alfred Dunbavin (1915-1990)', Trove, National Library of Australia, 2009, https://nla.gov.au/nla.party-1467834. Details
- Science and the making of Victoria, with Royal Society of Victoria, 2001, http://www.austehc.unimelb.edu.au/smv/index_b.html. Details
- Butcher, Alfred Dunbavin Portrait
Created: 25 October 1993, Last modified: 8 March 2019
- Foundation Supporter - Royal Society of Victoria