Biographical entry Bradford, Leslie (1878 - 1943)
- 1 September 1878
- 20 June 1943
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Leslie Bradford, a graduate of the South Australian School of Mines, joined BHP Ltd in 1898. He was appointed Chief Metallurgist 1906, Manager of BHP Newcastle 1924 and then General Manager BHP 1935.
Born Delhi, India, 9 March 1878. Died Melbourne, 20 June 1943. Arrived Australia 1892. Educated South Australian School of Mines and Industries (associate diplomas in mining and metallurgy 1896). Moved to Broken Hill 1897; assayer, Broken hill Proprietary Co. Ltd , Port Pirie, 1899, metallurgist, Broken Hill 1900-1915, BHP, Newcastle steelworks 1915-20; established Bradford Kendall foundry, Sydney 1920 and remained an active director; production superintendent, BHP 1922-24; manager of the steelworks 1924-35; general manager 1935-38, chief executive officer 1938-43; set up Bradford Insulation 1940; a director of Australian Iron and Steel Ltd, Lysaght Brothers and Company Ltd, Bullivants' Australian Company Pty Ltd and Titan Nail & Wire Pty Ltd. Australasian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy medal 1937. President, Australasian Institution of Mining and Metallurgy 1926.
Broken Hill Proprietary Co Ltd
- Leslie Bradford - Records, 1913 - 1935; Broken Hill Proprietary Co Ltd. Details
- Fairweather, D.F., 'Bradford, Leslie (1878-1943), Metallurgist' in Australian Dictionary of Biography, John Ritchie, ed., vol. 13 (Melbourne: Melbourne University Press, 1993), pp. 242-243. http://www.adb.online.anu.edu.au/biogs/A130273b.htm. Details
- Wikidata, http://www.wikidata.org/entity/Q21536258. Details
- 'Bradford, Leslie (18780309-19430620)', Trove, National Library of Australia, 2009, https://nla.gov.au/nla.party-1462053. Details
- Academy of Technological Sciences and Engineering, Technology in Australia 1788-1988, Online edn, Australian Science and Technology Heritage Centre, Melbourne, 3 May 2000, http://www.austehc.unimelb.edu.au/tia/index_b.html. Details
Created: 20 October 1993, Last modified: 15 September 2004
- Foundation Supporter - Committee to Review Australian Studies in Tertiary Education