Biographical entry Clark, Donald (1864 - 1932)
- 17 February 1864
Ashby, Victoria, Australia
- 7 April 1932
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
- Metallurgist and Science educator
Donald Clark, an engineering graduate of the University of Melbourne, became foundation Director of the Bairnsdale District School of Mines in 1889-1906, then Director of the Bendigo School of Mines to 1909. He lectured at the University of Melbourne in 1910 in metallurgy and from 1911 to 1930 was Chief Inspector of Technical Schools.
Donald Clark contributed largely to the solution of the treatment of complex ores in the Cassilis district in Gippsland, as well as to the evolution of the flotation process and the methods of refining cyanide precipitate and sludge from electrolytic copper refineries.
He significantly contributed to the Australian literature on the treatment of ores, and wrote "Australian Mining and Metallurgy" 1904, "Gold Refining" 1909, and three important booklets on technical education between 1923 and 1929.
He was largely responsible for the junior technical schools as an integral part of the Victorian post-primary education structure.
- 1883 - 1885
- Career position - Surveyor's Assistant
- Education - Bachelor of Civil Engineering (BCE), University of Melbourne
- 1889 - 1906
- Career position - Foundation Director, Bairnsdale District School of Mines and Industry
- Career event - Member (MAusIME), Australasian Institute of Mining Engineers
- Patent - Process for the treatment of gold slimes by the nitre cake method.
- 1906 - 1909
- Career position - Director, Bendigo School of Mines
- Education - Master of Mining Engineering (MME), University of Melbourne
- Career position - Lecturer in metallurgy, University of Melbourne
- 1911 - 1930
- Career position - First Chief inspector of Technical Schools, Education Department, Victoria
Encyclopedia of Australian Science Exhibitions
- Collins, David, Chemistry in Australia Bibliography, eScholarship Research Centre, 2009, http://www.eoas.info/ciab.html. Details
- Murray-Smith, S., 'Clark, Donald (1864-1932)' in Australian Dictionary of Biography, Bede Nairn and Geoffrey Serle, eds, vol. 8 (Melbourne: Melbourne University Press, 1981), pp. 5-6. http://www.adb.online.anu.edu.au/biogs/A080005b.htm. Details
- Clark, Donald, 'Minerals of Eastern Gippsland', Report of the Fourth Meeting of the Australasian Association for the Advancement of Science, 4 (1892), 285-289. Details
- Clark, Donald, 'Remarks on the Fineness and Distribution of Gold in North Gippsland', Report of the Fifth Meeting of the Australasian Association for the Advancement of Science, 5 (1893), 332-337. Details
- Clark, Donald, 'The Roasting and Treatment by Chlorine of Gippsland Auriferous Ores', Proceedings of the Royal Society of Victoria, NEW SERIES (1898), 1-13. Details
- Clark, Donald, 'Notes on the Solubility of Gold-Silver Alloys in Cyanide of Potassium Solutions', Proceedings of the Royal Society of Victoria, NEW SERIES (1898), 147-151. Details
- Clark, Donald, 'The training of an engineer (Paper & Discussion)', Proceedings of the Victorian Institute of Engineers vol. XVI (1917), 20-49, 54-67, 84-90, 114-122. http://hdl.handle.net/11343/24587. Details
- Wikidata, http://www.wikidata.org/entity/Q24250561. Details
- VIAF - Virtual International Authority File, OCLC, https://viaf.org/viaf/163144647667950668239. Details
- 'Clark, Donald (1864-1932)', Trove, National Library of Australia, 2009, https://nla.gov.au/nla.party-1470800. Details
- Academy of Technological Sciences and Engineering, Technology in Australia 1788-1988, Online edn, Australian Science and Technology Heritage Centre, Melbourne, 3 May 2000, http://www.austehc.unimelb.edu.au/tia/index_c.html. Details
Created: 20 October 1993, Last modified: 9 January 2019
- Foundation Supporter - Committee to Review Australian Studies in Tertiary Education