Biographical entry Arthur, Richard (1865 - 1932)
- 25 October 1865
- 21 May 1932
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
- Physician and Health worker
Richard Arthur practised in Sydney from 1891 and worked at the Royal North Shore, Royal Prince Alfred and Sydney Hospitals. After World War I he became involved in the public health movement, being particularly interested in venereal disease, tuberculosis and maternal and baby welfare.
Born Aldershot, England, 25 October 1865. Died Sydney, 21 May 1932. Educated Universities of St Andrews (MA 1885) and Edinburgh (MB, ChM 1888, MD 1891). Practised Edinburgh 1889, Wallsend, New South Wales 1899, travel in Europe and study of hypnotism 1890-91, medical missionary work, London 1891, general practice, Mosman, New South Wales 1891-1900, practice, Macquarie Street ca 1900-32, honorary appointment to Royal North Shore Hospital and Sydney Hospital, a director of Royal Prince Alfred Hospital 1917-20, 1927-31, and of Sydney Hospital 1924-32, member of New South Wales Legislative Assembly 1904-32, Minister for Public Health 1927-30. Helped to inspire the Country Women's Association of Australia 1922.
Mitchell and Dixson Libraries Manuscripts Collection, State Library of New South Wales
- Richard Arthur - Records, 1883 - 1932, UNCAT MSS SET 473; Mitchell and Dixson Libraries Manuscripts Collection, State Library of New South Wales. Details
- Roe, Michael, 'Arthur, Richard (1865-1932)' in Australian Dictionary of Biography, Bede Nairn and Geoffrey Serle, eds, vol. 7 (Melbourne: Melbourne University Press, 1979), pp. 103-104. http://www.adb.online.anu.edu.au/biogs/A070106b.htm. Details
- Edwards, Graham A., 'Dr. Richard Arthur and the Defence of Hypnotism in Late Nineteenth Century Australia', in Patients, Practitioners and Techniques: Second National Conference on Medicine and Health in Australia, Melbourne, 1984 edited by Harold Attwood and R. W. Home (Melbourne: Medical History Unit and Department of History and Philosophy of Science, University of Melbourne, 1984).. Details
Created: 20 October 1993, Last modified: 26 March 2007
- Foundation Supporter - Committee to Review Australian Studies in Tertiary Education