Biographical entry Barclay, Henry Vere (1845 - 1917)
- 6 January 1845
Bury, Lancashire, England
Henry Barclay explored Central Australia 1877-1906.
Born Bury, Lancashire, England, 6 January 1845. Died 1917. Lieutenant, Royal Marine Light Infantry June 1863; naval surveyor South America; to Tasmania 1871; South Australia 1877; command for work in Northern Territory 1878; worked in New Zealand four years; member Barclay-McPherson expedition to Northern Territory 1904-05; worked on railway surveys Queensland and New South Wales; command by commonwealth 1911; reported adversely on Hermansburg mission; retired to United Kingdom World War I.
State Records of South Australia
- Henry Vere Barclay - Records, 1877 - 1906, RN 720; State Records of South Australia. Details
- Wikidata, http://www.wikidata.org/entity/Q55590174. Details
- VIAF - Virtual International Authority File, OCLC, https://viaf.org/viaf/94074953. Details
- 'Barclay, H Vere (18450106-19171231)', Trove, National Library of Australia, 2009, https://nla.gov.au/nla.party-1181866. Details
- Strong, B.W., Henry Vere Barclay: Centralian Explorer (Deniliquin (N.S.W.): the Author, 2013), 132 pp. Details
Created: 20 October 1993, Last modified: 12 February 2018
- Foundation Supporter - Committee to Review Australian Studies in Tertiary Education