Biographical entry Wolseley, Frederick York (1837 - 1899)
- 16 March 1837
Kingstown, County Dublin, Ireland
- 8 January 1899
Frederick Wolseley developed several versions of a sheep-shearing machine, and the first shed to be shorn completely mechanically in 1888 used the Wolseley machine. His business associate, Herbert Austin, designed and made the first Wolseley motor car.
Born Kingstown, County Dublin, Ireland, 16 March 1837. Died London, 8 January 1899. Arrived Melbourne 1854, jackaroo, then Station Manager, Warbreccan Station outside Deniliquin 1854-59, Station Manager, Thule sheep station on the Murray River 1859-67, part-owner 1867-74, owner, Euroka station, near Walgett 1876, began experiments on a machine for shearing sheep 1868, first working model developed 1872, improved model demonstrated at the wool warehouse of Goldsbrough, Mort & Co. Ltd, Melbourne 1887, set up the Wolseley Sheep Shearing Machine Co. Pty Ltd in Sydney 1887, with Wolseley and Herbert Austin as directors, Managing Director of the company in England 1889-94, resigned and returned to Australia 1894, returned to England 1898 for specialist medical help. Austin became Works Manager of the firm in England 1893, designed and made the first Wolseley motor car in 1895 and started the Austin Motor Co. in 1905.
- Walsh, G. P., 'Wolseley, Frederick York (1837-1899)' in Australian Dictionary of Biography, Bede Nairn, ed., vol. 6 (Melbourne: Melbourne University Press, 1976), pp. 431-432. http://www.adb.online.anu.edu.au/biogs/A060463b.htm. Details
- Wikidata, http://www.wikidata.org/entity/Q5499150. Details
- 'Wolseley, Frederick York (1837-1899)', Trove, National Library of Australia, 2009, https://nla.gov.au/nla.party-1467259. Details
- Academy of Technological Sciences and Engineering, Technology in Australia 1788-1988, Online edn, Australian Science and Technology Heritage Centre, Melbourne, 3 May 2000, http://www.austehc.unimelb.edu.au/tia/index_w.html. Details
- Arthur, Ian, 'Technology and agriculture in Australia', ASHET News, 11 (1) (2018), 3-8. Details
Created: 20 October 1993, Last modified: 12 February 2018
- Foundation Supporter - Committee to Review Australian Studies in Tertiary Education