Corporate entry Women's Hospital (1856 - 1954)
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
- Hospitals or Clinics
- Alternative Names
- Lying-in Hospital (Also known as)
The Women's Hospital was established in 1856 as a place where underprivileged women could give birth and be given proper medical attention. In 1858 the hospital moved to its present site in Parkville. The Women's Hospital was granted the prefix 'Royal' in 1954, becoming the Royal Women's Hospital.
1856 - 1954 Women's Hospital
1954 - Royal Women's Hospital
- McCalman, Janet, Sex and Suffering: Women's Health and a Women's Hospital, Melbourne, 1856-1996 (Melbourne: Melbourne University Press, 1998), 432 pp. Details
- Lewis, Annette, 'The Role of the President, Janet Lady Clarke, in the Closure of the Women's Hospital, Melbourne, 1902', Victorian Historical Journal, 83 (2012), 31-55. Details
- McCalman, Janet, 'The Power of Care: the Women's Hospital 1884-1914', Nursing Inquiry, 5 (1998), 204-211. Details
- McCalman, Janet, Sex and Suffering: Women's Health and a Women's Hospital, Melbourne, 1856-1996, Melbourne University Press, Melbourne, 1998, 432 pp.
Hunter-payne, Gwynedd, Health and History, 1 (1), (1998), 76-80. Details
Created: 9 April 2003, Last modified: 3 February 2010