Biographical entry Payne, Henry (1871 - 1945)
- 9 March 1871
- 28 March 1945
Richmond, Victoria, Australia
- Engineer and Educator
Henry Payne was Professor of Engineering at University of Melbourne 1910-1932. He was active in rebuilding and re-equipping the school and in 1913 succeeded in having his courses recognised by the English Institutions.
Born 9 March 1871. Died 28 March 1945. Educated City and Guilds Technical College, Finsbury, London. Lecturer, University College, London 1898-1903, South African College, Cape Town 1903-09 (Corporation Chair of Civil Engineering from 1905), chair of engineering, University of Melbourne 1910-32, made an emeritus professor on his retirement. President, Melbourne University Engineering Society 1910, President, Victorian Institute of Engineers 1914, Chairman, local committee, Institution of Civil Engineers in Victoria 1924-25, Chairman, Melbourne Division, Institution of Engineers, Australia 1929. Chairman, Air Accident Investigations Committee 1926-31.
- Moorhouse, C. E., 'Payne, Henry (1871-1945), Engineer and Educationist' in Australian Dictionary of Biography, Geoffrey Serle, ed., vol. 11 (Melbourne: Melbourne University Press, 1988), pp. 169-170. http://www.adb.online.anu.edu.au/biogs/A110175b.htm. Details
- Payne, Henry, 'Note on wind pressure (Paper & Discussion)', Proceedings of the Victorian Institute of Engineers vol. XIII (1913), 140-142. http://hdl.handle.net/11343/24549. Details
- Payne, Henry, 'Notes on a new lecture theatre - Melbourne University (Paper & Discussion)', Proceedings of the Victorian Institute of Engineers vol. XIII (1913), 134-139, 143-144. http://hdl.handle.net/11343/24548. Details
- Payne, Henry, 'Notes on insulation for cold storage (Paper & Discussion)', Proceedings of the Victorian Institute of Engineers vol. XIV (1914), 65-73, 129-132. http://hdl.handle.net/11343/24565. Details
- Payne, Henry, 'The influence line (Paper & Discussion)', Proceedings of the Victorian Institute of Engineers vol. XVI (1917), 67-82, 136-137. http://hdl.handle.net/11343/24590. Details
Created: 30 June 1997, Last modified: 13 February 2018