Browse Entries

Biographical entry Clements, Francis William (1864 - 1939)

Born
20 May 1864
Essex, United Kingdom
Died
12 December 1939
'Myoora', Toorak, Victoria, Australia
Occupation
Civil engineer and Electrical engineer

Summary

Francis Clements was a leading pioneer in the introduction of electricity services into Australia. The Electric Supply Co. was established by him in Melbourne in 1899, and the company also established power stations at Adelaide and Geelong. The Melbourne company remained under his control until the undertaking was acquired by the State Electricity Commission. He also established the scheme for the supply of electricity for the Federal capital.

Details

Events

Career position - Managing Director, Electric Supply Co.
1896
Career event - Member (MIEE), Institution of Electrical Engineers
1899 -
Career position - Managing Director, Electric Lighting and Traction Co. of Australia
1903
Career event - Member (MVIE), Victorian Institute of Engineers
1913 - 1916
Career position - Vice-President, Victorian Institute of Engineers
1914
Career event - Member (MInstCE), Institution of Civil Engineers
1919
Career event - Foundation Associate Member (AMIEAust), Institution of Engineers Australia
1920
Career event - Member (MIEAust), Institution of Engineers Australia
1925
Career position - Chairman, Electric Supply Association of Australia
1926
Award - Kernot Memorial Medal, for distinguished engineering achievement in Australia. Faculty of Engineering, University of Melbourne
1926 - 1931
Career position - Part-time Commissioner, State Electricity Commission of Victoria
1931 - 1937
Career position - Chairman, State Electricity Commission of Victoria
1934
Award - Peter Nicol Russell Memorial Medal - Career Achievement Award in Engineering, Institution of Engineers Australia
1937
Life event - Retired

Colleague

Related Corporate Bodies

Published resources

See also

  • 'South Yarra Station of the Electric Lighting and Transaction Co. of Australia (Visit-1908, June 17th)', Proceedings of the Victorian Institute of Engineers vol. IX, 1909, pp. 89-91. Also available at http://hdl.handle.net/11343/24415. Details
  • 'Electrical light station (Visit)', Proceedings of the Victorian Institute of Engineers vol. XII, 1912, p. 170. Also available at http://hdl.handle.net/11343/24526. Details

Ken McInnes