Biographical entry Peacock, William James (Jim) (1937 - )
FAA, FRS, FTSE
- 14 December 1937
Leura, New South Wales, Australia
- Molecular biologist and Geneticist
- Alternative Names
- Peacock, Jim (Also known as)
William James (Jim) Peacock has been Chief of the Division of Plant Industry, CSIRO, Canberra since 1978. He is interested in molecular plant science; genomics and gene technology; and modern agriculture. He has a long track record in ensuring that basic research is taken to its final end point in terms of applications in agriculture and other industries.
Born Leura, New South Wales, 14 December 1937. AC 1994. Educated University of Sydney (BSc (hons) 1958, PhD 1962). Visiting Research Worker, Genetics Section, CSIRO 1963; Post-Doctoral Fellow, Department of Biology, University of Oregon 1963-64, Visiting Associate Professor 1964-65; Research Consultant, Biology Division, Oak Ridge National Laboratory 1965; Senior Research Scientist, Division of Plant Biology, CSIRO 1969-73, Senior Principal Research Scientist 1973-77; Chief Research Scientist 1977-78; Chief, CSIRO Plant Industry 1978- ; Adjunct Professor/Co-Director, Plant Science Centre, Research School of Biological Sciences, Australian National University 1990. Edgeworth David Medal, Royal Society of New South Wales 1967; Fellow, Australian Academy of Science 1976; Lemberg Medal, Australian Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology 1978; International Board of Plant Genetic Resources, 10th Anniversary Medal 1984; University of Georgia Bicentennial Medal 1985; N.I. Vavilov Medal, Vavilov Institute 1987; Fellow, Royal Society 1982; Fellow, Australian Academy of Technological Sciences and Engineering 1988; BHP Bicentennial Prize for Pursuit of Excellence in Science and Technology 1988; Burnet Medal, Australian Academy of Science 1989; CSIRO Medal for Leadership of the Division of Plant Industry 1989; Foreign Fellow, Indian National Science Academy 1990; Foreign Associate, US National Academy of Sciences 1990; Farrer Memorial Medal 1999. President, Australian Academy of Science 2002- .
- Peacock, W. J. and McCann, D., 'Michael James Denham White 1910-1983', Historical Records of Australian Science, vol. 10, no. 2, 1994, pp. 143-161. Also available at http://www.publish.csiro.au/paper/HR9941020143.htm. Details
- 'Peacock, W J', Trove, National Library of Australia, 2009, http://nla.gov.au/nla.party-619385. Details
- Ward, C., 'William James (Jim) Peacock', in CSIROpedia, 2011, http://csiropedia.csiro.au/display/CSIROpedia/Peacock%2C+William+James. Details
Created: 20 October 1993, Last modified: 10 September 2004
- Foundation Supporter - Committee to Review Australian Studies in Tertiary Education