Biographical entry Barraclough, Samuel Henry Egerton (1871 - 1958)
- 25 October 1871
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
- 3 August 1958
- Mechanical engineer
Samuel Henry E. Barraclough was Professor of Mechanical Engineering and later Dean of the Faculty of Engineering, University of Sydney 1915-41. During the 1914-18 war he administered the Australian Munition Workers Scheme in London.
Born Sydney, 25 October 1871. Died Sydney, 30 August 1958. CBE (military division) 1919, KBE 1920, Volunteer Officers' Decoration. Educated University of Sydney (BE 1892) and Sibley College of Engineering, Cornell University (MME 1894). Lecturer-in-charge, department of (applied) physics, Sydney Technical College and teacher of physics at Sydney High 1895-96; assistant lecturer in mechanical engineering, Peter Nicol Russell school of engineering, University of Sydney 1897-1907, also lectured in military engineering in the department of military science; assistant professor 1908-14; professor of mechanical engineering 1915-41; dean, faculty of engineering 1924-33, 1936-41; Fellow, senate 1925-33, 1938-56. War service as censor with Intelligence and in charge of the Australian munitions workers in England and France. President, Engineering Association of New South Wales 1914-15, president, engineering section, Royal Society of New South Wales, president, Institution of Engineers, Australia 1935, president, section H, Australian and New Zealand Association for the Advancement of Science 1937. Peter Nicol Russell Memorial Medal, Institution of Engineers, Australia 1939.
University of Sydney, Archives
- Samuel Henry Egerton Barraclough - Records, 1847 - 1948, P 10; University of Sydney, Archives. Details
- 'Barraclough, Samuel Henry Egerton', in Physics in Australia to 1945, R.W. Home, with the assistance of Paula J. Needham, Australian Science Archives Project, June 1995, http://www.asap.unimelb.edu.au/bsparcs/physics/P000199p.htm. Details
- 'Primary description of person CP 260; Samuel Henry Egerton Barraclough', in RecordSearch, National Archives of Australia, 2000, http://naa12.naa.gov.au/scripts/SearchOld.asp?Number=CP+260. Details
- 'Barraclough, Henry (1871-1958)', Trove, National Library of Australia, 2009, http://nla.gov.au/nla.party-560692. Details
- Academy of Technological Sciences and Engineering, Technology in Australia 1788-1988, Online edn, Australian Science and Technology Heritage Centre, Melbourne, 3 May 2000, http://www.austehc.unimelb.edu.au/tia/index_b.html. Details
- Wisdom, John, A History of Defence Science in Australia, Defence Science and Technology Organisation, Melbourne, 1995, 267 pp. Details
Created: 20 October 1993, Last modified: 13 December 2006
- Foundation Supporter - Committee to Review Australian Studies in Tertiary Education