Biographical entry Crawford, Hugh Ralston (1874 - 1954)
- 6 April 1874
Hartford, Connecticut, United States of America
- 24 October 1954
Kew, Victoria, Australia
- Architect and Civil engineer
Hugh Crawford was a pioneer in the design and construction of reinforced concrete in Queensland and Victoria, and in particular, the use of the 'Turner Mushroom System' of flat slab construction of multi-storied buildings in Melbourne, from 1910.
Associated Engineering Works:
Bridges and railway works:
* c1890. Design of Burnett Railway Bridge, Bundaberg, Queensland;
* c1894. Design of "Albert Bridge", Indooroopilly Railway Bridge, Queensland;
* c1904. Design of Degilbo-Biggenden railway, Queensland;
* 1905. Concrete Arch Railway Bridge over Deep Creek, Chowey, Queensland;
* 1928. Proposal for Transporter Bridge, Yarra River, at Spencer Street, Melbourne;
* 1928. Proposal for Transporter Bridge, Yarra River, at Williamstown Road, Newport.
* 1902. Design of Railway Station Building, Townsville, Queensland;
* 1910. Sniders & Abrahams cigarette factory, 7 Drewery Lane, Melbourne;
* 1910. Grosser's Warehouse, 214-216 Queen Street, Melbourne;
* 1911. Briscoe and Co Store, corner Stanley & Adderley Streets. West Melbourne;
* 1912. Sniders & Abrahams Bond Store, corner Little Lonsdale Street & Drewery Lane;
* 191?. Grossers Factory, 233-237 Lonsdale Street, Melbourne;
* 1924. W.D. and H.O. Wills, 411-423 Swanston Street, Melbourne;
* 1921-28. Herald & Weekly Times, 44-74 Flinders Street, Melbourne;
* 1928. Myer Warehouse, 258 Queensbury Street, Carlton;
* 1931-32. Myer Emporium, 275-321 Lonsdale Street, Melbourne;
* 1933. Manton's Building, 228-234 Bourke Street, Melbourne;
* 1933. St Vincent's Hospital & Nurses Home, 44 Victoria Parade, East Melbourne;
* c1930. Commonwealth Bank, 363-371 Collins Street, Melbourne;
* 1930-33. Commonwealth Bank, Murray Street, Perth;
* 1935. City West Automatic Telephone Exchange, 434-436 Little Bourke Street, Melbourne;
* 1935. Automatic Telephone Exchange, Davey Street, Hobart;
* 1938. Two storey addition to Sniders & Abrahams, 7 Drewery Lane, Melbourne.
- c. 1883
- Life event - Migrated to Townsville, Queensland, Australia
- 1883 - c. 1886
- Education - Townsville Grammar School, Queensland.
- Career position - Articled to Eyre & Munro, Civil engineers and architects, Townsville
- 1896 - 1906
- Career position - Bridge design engineer, Queensland Railways, under Chief Engineer, William Pagan.
- Life event - Moved to Melbourne, Victoria.
- Patent - Monolithic reinforced concrete cavity wall. No.9315, P.P.
- Patent - System of Reinforcing concrete with twisted steel bars. No.11241. Prov.
- 1914 - 1919
- Career position - Designing Engineer, Metcalf Company of Montreal, Wheat silos in New South Wales.
- Career event - Registered Architect, Architects Registration Act (Vic.1922)
- 26 October 1954
- Life event - Cremated, Memorialised, Springvale Botanical Cemetery, Victoria
Created: 7 November 2019, Last modified: 12 November 2019