Biographical entry Danks, David (1931 - 2003)
- 4 June 1931
- 8 July 2003
David Danks was a founder of the Genetics Research Unit at the Royal Children's Hospital and later the Murdoch Children's Research Institute (MCRI) and pioneering geneticist.
David Danks began his medical career at the Royal Children's Hospital (RCH) Melbourne before travelling to the United Kingdom and United States of America to study genetics. Returning in 1967 he established the Genetics Research Unit at the Royal Children's Hospital (RCH) in Melbourne, then in 1986 the Murdoch Children's Research Institute (MCRI). Other achievements include his discovery of the role of copper in Menkes syndrome and the development of a computerized system of malformation syndromes known as POSSUM to assist in diagnosis.
- Career event - Founder, Genetics Research Unit, Royal Children's Hospital, Melbourne
- Career event - Founding Director, Murdoch Children's Research Institute, Melbourne
- Rasmussen, Carolyn, with Danks, Alister, Double Helix, Double Joy: David Danks, the Father of Clinical Genetics in Australia (Carlton, Vic.: Melbourne University Press, 2010), 327 pp. Details
- Rasmussen, Carolyn, 'Hardware and Health: The Danks family of Melbourne with special emphasis on Professor David Danks, 'Father of Clinical Genetics in Australia' and founder of the Murdoch Children's Research Institute', in Royal Historical Society of Victoria (2009)., https://www.academia.edu/23212028/Hardware_and_Health_The_Danks_family_of_Melbourne_with_special_emphasis_on_Professor_David_Danks_Father_of_Clinical_Genetics_in_Australia_and_founder_of_the_Murdoch_Children_s_Research_Institute. Details
- Choo, Andy K. H., 'David M. Danks, M.D., A.O., (June 4, 1931 - July 8, 2003); Founder, Murdoch Children's Research Institute', American Journal of Human Genetics, 73 (5) (2003), 981 - 985, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1180503/. Details
- Pictures Of Standard Syndromes and Undiagnosed Malformations (POSSUM), Murdoch Children's Research Institute, 2019, https://www.possum.net.au/. Details
- 'Professor David Danks', in Murdoch Children's Research Institute, Murdoch Children's Research Institute, 2019, https://www.mcri.edu.au/about/anniversary/story/co-founder-murdoch-childrens-research-institute. Details
Created: 15 January 2019