Biographical entry Grimwade, Edward Norton (1866 - 1945)
- 25 May 1866
St Kilda, Victoria, Australia
- 29 April 1945
Macedon, Victoria, Australia
- Pharmaceutical manufacturer, Manufacturer and Pharmacist
Edward Norton Grimwade, like his brothers, Harold and Wilfred, was a successful business man who helped advance Australia's pharmaceutical, glass, plastics and chemical manufacturing industries.
After completing his pharmacy apprenticeship in London and Melbourne, he was made a partner of Felton, Grimwade & Co. in 1889. In 1910 when their father Frederick Sheppard Grimwade die, he and his two brothers inherited the company. They also inherited substantial interests in their father's many other businesses which included Felton Grimwade & Bickford's of Perth, J. Bosisto & Co., Cuming Smith & Co. Ltd, the Adelaide Chemical and Fertilizer Co. Ltd, and the Melbourne Glass Bottle Works Pty Ltd (later Australian Glass Manufacturers Ltd). In 1912 they established Australian Oxygen Co. which became known as Australian Oxygen and Industrial Gases Pty Ltd. In around 1920. When Drug Houses of Australia Ltd was formed Edward Grimwade was appointed chairman. He was instrumental in promoting and refining the Grimwade businesses.
- 1883 - 1886
- Education - Apprenticed to a firm of druggists in London
- 1886 - 1889
- Career position - Returned to Melbourne to work at his father's company Felton Grimwade & Co.
- 1889 -
- Career position - Partner of Felton Grimwade & Co.
- 1910 -
- Career position - Chairman of the Felton Bequests Committee
- Career position - Co-founded Australian Oxygen Co. with his brothers
- Career position - President of the Chamber of Commerce
- Career position - Chairman of Australian Glass Manufacturers Ltd
- Career position - Carba Dry Ice (Australia) Ltd established
- c. 1929 - c. 1937
- Career position - Chairman of Drug Houses of Australia Ltd.
Encyclopedia of Australian Science Exhibitions
- Collins, David, Chemistry in Australia Bibliography, eScholarship Research Centre, 2009, http://www.eoas.info/ciab.html. Details
- McCarthy, Gavan; Smith, Ailie; Moje, Christine; Rigby, Rebecca, The Study of Australian Eucalypts, eScholarship Research Centre, 2013, http://www.eoas.info/eucalypts/index.html. Details
- Poynter, J. R., 'Grimwade, Edward Norton (1866-1945)' in Australian Dictionary of Biography, Bede Nairn and Geoffrey Serle, eds, vol. 9 (Melbourne: Melbourne University Press, 1983), pp. 126-128. http://www.adb.online.anu.edu.au/biogs/A090122b.htm. Details
- Grimwade, E. Norton, 'A Kino from Eucalyptus maculata', The Australasian Journal of Pharmacy, 1 (1886), 279-280. Details
Created: 17 October 2006, Last modified: 17 April 2014