Biographical entry Kelly, Alexander Charles (1811 - 1877)
- June 1811
- 9 October 1877
Norwood, South Australia, Australia
- Physician and Vigneron
Alexander Charles Kelly arrived in Adelaide in 1840 and practised as both a surgeon and a wine grower. His books on wine growing showed his attention to scientific method.
Educated University of Edinburgh (MD, LRCS 1832). Arrived Adelaide 1840; assistant surgeon, hospital; emigration lecturer Scotland 1846-47; retired as surgeon superintendent Lady McNaughton late 1847; settled Morphett Vale; founded Tintara vineyard 1864; published books on wine, including The Vine in Australia: Its Culture and Management (1861) and Wine-growing in Australia (1867).
- Kelly, Alexander Charles, Wine-growing in Australia (Sydney: David Ell Press, 1980). http://www.winelit.slsa.sa.gov.au/oz_water/OW_B634.8_1867_02.htm. Details
- Hankel, Valmai A., 'Kelly, Alexander Charles (1811-1877)' in Australian Dictionary of Biography, Christopher Cunneen, ed., vol. Supplement (Melbourne: Melbourne University Press, 2005), pp. 212-213. http://www.adb.online.anu.edu.au/biogs/AS10262b.htm. Details
- Wikidata, http://www.wikidata.org/entity/Q24250596. Details
- VIAF - Virtual International Authority File, OCLC, https://viaf.org/viaf/26119318. Details
- 'Kelly, Alex C (1811-1877)', Trove, National Library of Australia, 2009, https://nla.gov.au/nla.party-616932. Details
- Academy of Technological Sciences and Engineering, Technology in Australia 1788-1988, Online edn, Australian Science and Technology Heritage Centre, Melbourne, 3 May 2000, http://www.austehc.unimelb.edu.au/tia/index_k.html. Details
Created: 25 May 2001, Last modified: 4 July 2012
- Foundation Supporter - ARC Learned Academies' Special Projects