Biographical entry Jones, Henry (1862 - 1926)
- 19 July 1862
Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
- 29 October 1926
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
(Sir) Henry Jones began his working life at George Peacock's jam factory in 1874 and took control as H. Jones & Company when Peacock retired in 1891. He was a shrewd investor in promising Tasmanian undertakings, including the Thailand tin-dredging industry, from which his greatest profits came.
Born Hobart Town, 19 July 1862. Died Melbourne, 29 October 1926. Kt 1919. George Peacock's jam factory from 1874, pasting labels on tins and becoming an expert jam-boiler within a few years; factory foreman from 1885; took control as H. Jones & Company in partnership with A.W. Palfreyman and Peacock's son Ernest 1889-1902, changing the name to IXL; IXL formed as a limited liability company 1903; IXL Prospecting Company formed about 1903; Tonghak Harbour Tin Dredging Company 1906 and Tongkah Compound 1910; became a leading Australian financier and one of the early advisers to the Commonwealth Bank; influential in the formation in Hobart of the Growers' Export pool 1919; bought the rival Hobart jam manufacturing company, W.D. Peacock & Company after World War I; retired 1922.
- Reynolds, John, 'Jones, Sir Henry (1862-1926), jam manufacturer' in Australian Dictionary of Biography, Bede Nairn and Geoffrey Serle, eds, vol. 9 (Melbourne: Melbourne University Press, 1983), pp. 513-514. http://www.adb.online.anu.edu.au/biogs/A090509b.htm. Details
- Wikidata, http://www.wikidata.org/entity/Q5724053. Details
- 'Jones, Henry', Trove, National Library of Australia, 2009, https://nla.gov.au/nla.party-1475918. Details
- Academy of Technological Sciences and Engineering, Technology in Australia 1788-1988, Online edn, Australian Science and Technology Heritage Centre, Melbourne, 3 May 2000, http://www.austehc.unimelb.edu.au/tia/index_j.html. Details
- Davies, Susan, 'R. v.d. R. Wooley in Australia', Historical Records of Australian Science, 6 (1) (1984), 59-69. http://www.publish.csiro.au/paper/HR9840610059.htm. Details
Created: 25 May 2001, Last modified: 31 July 2006
- Foundation Supporter - ARC Learned Academies' Special Projects