Biographical entry Binns, Gordon (1899 - 1976)
- 1 March 1899
Yarraville, Victoria, Australia
- 24 September 1976
- Business executive and Ornithologist
Gordon Binns was a bank manager with a keen interest in natural history. He was an active member of the Royal Australasian Ornithologists Union, serving as Secretary 1953-1956 and 1959-1963 and as President 1965-1966 and attending a large number of RAOU camp-outs.
Born Yarraville, Victoria, 1 March 1899. Died Blackburn, Victoria, 24 September 1976. Educated Seymour, Victoria. State Savings Bank of Victoria 1914-16; war service in France 1917-18; in England 1918-20; State Savings Bank 1920-64, serving in various Melbourne suburban branches until 1938, manager, Cobram 1938-44, manager, Ouyen 1945-47, manager, Terang 1948-50, manager at several suburban branches 1951-56, manager, Horsham 1957-60 and Box Hill 1961-64. Qualified ThL 1928 and ordained Deacon of the Church of England. Wrote 'Notes from Birdland' for the State Savings Bank journal, Savings Weekly and wrote a weekly column, 'The Out of Doors' for the Terang Express for twenty years under the non-de-plume of Neophema. President, Royal Australasian Ornithologists Union 1965-66 and contributed several articles to The Emu. Also a member of the Bird Observers' Club and the Gould League of Victoria and contributed to their publications.
- Wheeler, W. R., 'Obituaries: Gordon Binns', Emu, 77 (2) (1977), 89. Details
- Wikidata, http://www.wikidata.org/entity/Q65706305. Details
- 'Binns, Gordon (1899-1976)', Trove, National Library of Australia, 2009, https://nla.gov.au/nla.party-1476033. Details
- Robin, Libby, The Flight of the Emu: a Hundred Years of Australian Ornithology 1901-2001 (Melbourne: Melbourne University Press, 2001), 492 pp. Details
Created: 5 November 1999, Last modified: 2 March 2018
- Foundation Supporter - Birds Australia