Biographical entry Chaffer, Norman (1899 - 1992)
- 15 March 1899
Willoughby, New South Wales, Australia
- 23 November 1992
- Business executive, Photographer and Ornithologist
Norman Chaffer was a businessman with a lifelong interest in the study and photography of birds. He gave a lot of time to conservation education through highly successful lectures and showing of films.
Born Willoughby, Sydney, 15 March, 1899. Died 23 November 1992. OAM 1979. Life-time director, W. Chaffer & Sons Pty Ltd, a leather manufacturing enterprise founded by his father in 1887. Keen photographer of native birds, being the first person to photograph many species, a pioneer of colour cinematography and winning many awards for his work. Published articles in National Geographic and wrote In Quest of Bower Birds (published 1984). Fellow, Royal Australasian Ornithologists' Union 1991. President, Royal Australasian Ornithologists' Union 1954-55.
- Wikidata, http://www.wikidata.org/entity/Q15487202. Details
- VIAF - Virtual International Authority File, OCLC, https://viaf.org/viaf/91530520. Details
- 'Chaffer, Norman (1899-1992)', Trove, National Library of Australia, 2009, https://nla.gov.au/nla.party-475385. Details
- Robin, Libby, The Flight of the Emu: a Hundred Years of Australian Ornithology 1901-2001 (Melbourne: Melbourne University Press, 2001), 492 pp. Details
Created: 28 May 1999, Last modified: 4 July 2012
- Foundation Supporter - Birds Australia