Biographical entry Barker, John Adair (1925 - 1995)
- 24 March 1925
Corrigin, Western Australia, Australia
- 27 October 1995
- Theoretical physicist
John Barker worked at IBM Research Laboratory (later the Almaden Research Center), San Jose, California 1969-1994. He has made major contributions to our knowledge of solutions and dense vapours by his work on the statistical mechanics of molecular interactions, especially of polar molecules.
Born Corrigin, Western Australia, 24 March 1925. Died California, 27 October 1995. Educated University of Melbourne (BSc (hons) 1945, DSc 1958)). Demonstrator in physics, University of Melbourne 1946-47, Division of Aeronautics, Council of Scientific and Industrial Research 1948, mathematics teacher, Acton Technical college, England 1949, CSIRO Division of Industrial chemistry 1950-67, professor of applied mathematics and physics, University of Waterloo, Ontario 1967-69, IBM Research Laboratory (later the Almaden Research Center), San Jose, California 1969-94. Fellow, Australian Academy of Science 1967, Fellow, Royal Society of London 1981.
- Rowlinson, J. S., 'John Adair Barker 1925-1995', Historical Records of Australian Science, 11 (2) (1996), 179-190. http://www.publish.csiro.au/paper/HR9961120179.htm. Details
- Wikidata, http://www.wikidata.org/entity/Q21165582. Details
- VIAF - Virtual International Authority File, OCLC, https://viaf.org/viaf/165867217. Details
- 'Barker, John Adair (1925-1995)', Trove, National Library of Australia, 2009, https://nla.gov.au/nla.party-1476019. Details
- Ward, C., 'John Adair Barker [1925-1995]', in CSIROpedia, Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO), 2011, https://csiropedia.csiro.au/Barker-John-Adair. Details
- Ewers, W. E. and Weiss, D. E., 'Keith Leonard Sutherland 1916-1980', Historical Records of Australian Science, 5 (2) (1981), 78-88. http://www.publish.csiro.au/paper/HR9810520078.htm. Details
- John Adair Barker
Created: 11 March 1998, Last modified: 13 April 2018