Biographical entry Walker, Fred (1884 - 1935)
- 5 January 1884
Hawthorn, Victoria, Australia
- 21 July 1935
Auburn, Victoria, Australia
Fred Walker was managing director of Fred Walker & Co. from c.1921 to 1935. The company began marketing the commercial yeast-extract "Vegemite" in 1924. In 1926 he formed the Kraft Walker Cheese Co., together with James L. Kraft of Chicago, to manufacture processed cheese.
Born 5 January 1884. Died 21 July 1935. Worked for J. Bartram & Sons, produce and export merchants 1899-1902, set up his own import and export business, Fred Walker & Co., Hong Kong 1903-08, importer and exporter, Melbourne 1908-10, began canning food for export 1910, began to manufacture Bonox 1918, expanded to Sydney 1918 and Adelaide and New Zealand 1919, formed a new company, Fred walker & Co., ca 1921, marketed Vegemite 1924, formed the Kraft Walker Cheese Co. in May 1926 to manufacture processed cheese. Endowed the Fred walker prize for postgraduate chemistry, University of Melbourne.
- Farrer, Keith Thomas Henry, 'Walker, Fred (1884-1935), Merchant and Industrialist' in Australian Dictionary of Biography, John Ritchie, ed., vol. 12 (Melbourne: Melbourne University Press, 1990), pp. 357-358. http://www.adb.online.anu.edu.au/biogs/A120399b.htm. Details
- Wikidata, http://www.wikidata.org/entity/Q5496496. Details
- 'Walker, Fred (1884-1935)', Trove, National Library of Australia, 2009, https://nla.gov.au/nla.party-1463652. Details
- Academy of Technological Sciences and Engineering, Technology in Australia 1788-1988, Online edn, Australian Science and Technology Heritage Centre, Melbourne, 3 May 2000, http://www.austehc.unimelb.edu.au/tia/index_w.html. Details
Created: 30 June 1997, Last modified: 13 April 2018
- Foundation Supporter - ARC Learned Academies' Special Projects