Biographical entry Dampier, William (1651 - 1715)
William Dampier commanded an expedition to the South Pacific which discovered the Dampier Archipelago and the Dampier Strait.
Fought in the Anglo-Dutch War in 1672-3. Became planter in the West Indies and a buccaneer against the Spanish Caribbean colonies (1679-81). Wrote a valuable hydrographic treatise. Commanded an expedition to the South Pacific which discovered the Dampier Archipelago and the Dampier Strait. He also named the island of New Britain.
Adolph Basser Library, Australian Academy of Science
- Dampier, William, A New Voyage Round the World: the Journal of an English Buccaneer (London: Hummingbird Press, 1998), 284 pp. Details
- George, Alex S., William Dampier in New Holland: Australia's First Natural Historian (Hawthorn, Victoria: Blooming Books, 1999), 191 pp. Details
- Mitchell, Adrian, Dampier's monkey: the South Seas Voyages of William Dampier (Kent Town, S.A.: Wakefield Press, 2011), 545 pp. Details
- Bach, J., 'Dampier, William (1651-1715)' in Australian Dictionary of Biography, Douglas Pike, ed., vol. 1 (Melbourne: Melbourne University Press, 1966), pp. 277-278. http://www.adb.online.anu.edu.au/biogs/A010265b.htm. Details
- Baer, Joel H., 'William Dampier, 1651-1715' in Oxford Dictionary of National Biography (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2004). Details
- Williams, Gary C., 'William Dampier: Pre-Linnean Explorer, Naturalist, Buccaneer', in Impact of Travels on Scientific Knowledge edited by Michael T. Ghiselin and Alan E. Leviton (San Francisco: California Academy of Sciences, 2004), pp. 146-166.. Details
- George, A. S., 'The plants seen and collected in north-western Australia by William Dampier', Western Australian Naturalist, 11 (1971), 173-8. Details
- George, Alex, 'William Dampier as a natural historian', The Great Circle: Journal of the Australian Association for Maritime History, 37 (1) (2015), 36-52. Details
- McCarthy, M., 'A brief Dampier chronology', The Great Circle: Journal of the Australian Association for Maritime History, 37 (1) (2015), i-xii. Details
- Williams, Gary C., 'William Dampier: Science, Exploration and Literary Influence, including his Hydrographic Treatise of 1699', Proceedings of the California Academy of Sciences, Series 4, 59 (14) (2008), 533-663. Details
- Williams, Gary C., 'The historical context and influence of William Dampier's hydrographic science', The Great Circle: Journal of the Australian Association for Maritime History, 37 (1) (2015), 53-81. Details
Created: 30 June 1997, Last modified: 26 July 2006