Corporate entry Health Insurance Commission (1974 - 2005)
Commonwealth of Australia
- 8 August 1974
Phillip, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
- 30 September 2005
- Health Insurance
- Alternative Names
- Medicare Australia
- Reference No
- NAA: CA 1904
- Legal Status
- Agency of the Commonwealth of Australia
- 134 Reed Street, Tuggeranong, Australian Capital Territory 2901
The Health Insurance Commission (HIC) was established by the Australian Government in August 1974. The Commission is a statutory authority, which was originally created to administer Medibank, at that time the universal health insurance scheme for Australia. Over the years HIC gas grown to administer a range of health programs.
Medicare Australia, which was formed on 1 October 2005 now performs all the functions and provides all the services that were performed by the Health Insurance Commission http://www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/.
From their Web site, July 2002: "HIC is a dynamic, innovative and customer-focused organisation delivering government health programs to the Australian community. These programs include Medicare, the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme, the Australian Childhood Immunisation Register and the Australian Organ Donor Register."
- Wikidata, http://www.wikidata.org/entity/Q28922433. Details
- Trove, National Library of Australia, 2009, https://nla.gov.au/nla.party-1306389. Details
- 'Primary description of agency CA 1904; Health Insurance Commission, Head Office. Registration of entity: 24 August 1975', in RecordSearch, National Archives of Australia, 2002, http://naa12.naa.gov.au/scripts/SearchOld.asp?Number=CA+1904. Details
Created: 2 July 2002, Last modified: 23 March 2010