Biographical entry Hallsworth, Ernest Gordon (1913 - 2002)
- Soil scientist
A prominent pedologist Ernest Hallsworth made significant contributions to soil sciences through his research, publication and teaching.
Ernest Gordon Hallsworth was Chief of the Commonwealth Industrial and Scientific Research Organisation (CSIRO) Division of Soils between 1964 and 1971 and was the chairman of the Land Research Laboratories between 1973 and 1978 which oversaw a number of CSIRO divisions. In addition to his CSIRO work he also held positions at a number of Universities including a term as Dean of the School of Agriculture at the University of Nottingham, was seconded to be Australia's Chief Scientific Liaison Officer in London, served as Scientific Adviser to Prime Minister Malcolm Fraser and was Australia's first representative on the OECD Committee on Science Policy.
Throughout his career and into his retirement he received a number of awards from Australian and International organisations including membership of the Academie d'Agriculture de France, the Dokuchaev medal from the All Union Society of Soil Science, the Schermerborn Medal from the International Training Centre in Holland and the Australian Society of Soil Science's Prescott medal.
- Award - Fellow, World Academy of Arts and Sciences
- Award - Dokuchaev Medal, International Union Society of Soil Science
- Award - Foundation Fellow, Australian Academy of Technical Science and Engineering
- 1951 - 1964
- Career position - Dean of the School of Agriculture, University of Nottingham
- 1964 - 1968
- Chair - President, International Society of Soil Science
- 1964 - 1971
- Career position - Chief Division of Soils, Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO)
- 1971 - 1973
- Career position - Australia's Chief Scientific Liaison Officer, London, England
- 1973 - 1978
- Career position - Chairman, Land Research Laboratories, Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO)
- Award - Prescott Medal, Australian Society of Soil Science
National Library of Australia
- 'Land and Water Divisions', in CSIROpedia, Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO), https://csiropedia.csiro.au/land-and-water-1997/. Details
- Taylor, R M; Lee, K E; Quirk, J P; and Noorish, K, 'Dr Ernest Gordon Hallsworth: scientist and teacher 1/10/1913 - 14/2/2002', Australian Journal of Soil Research, vol. 40, no. 3, CSIRO Publications, May 2002, http://www.biomedsearch.com/article/Dr-Ernest-Gordon-Hallsworth-scientist/87017547.html. Details
Created: 19 December 2017, Last modified: 26 February 2018