Biographical entry Tyndale-Biscoe, Cecil Hugh (Hugh) (1929 - )
- 16 October 1929
Srinagar, Kashmir, India
- Zoologist and Reproductive biologist
Hugh Tyndale-Biscoe was Chief Research Scientist, CSIRO Division of Wildlife and Rangelands Research 1978-1992. His interests include marsupial biology and fertility control for wildlife management.
Born Srinagar, Kashmir, India, 16 October 1929. Educated Canterbury University College, Christchurch (BSc 1951, MSc 1954) and University of Western Australia (PhD 1962). Demonstrator in Zoology, Canterbury University College 1950, 1952; Assistant Zoologist, Animal Ecology Section, DSIR, New Zealand 1951, 1954-55; Lecturer in Biology, Edwardes College, University of Peshawar, Pakistan 1955-58; Lecturer in Physiology, University of Western Australia 1961; Lecturer in Zoology, Australian National University 1962-65, Senior Lecturer in Zoology 1965-70, Reader in Zoology 1970-75; Senior Principal Research Scientist and Leader, Marsupial Biology Group, Division of Wildlife Research, CSIRO, Canberra 1976-78, Chief Research Scientist, Division of Wildlife and Rangelands Research 1978-92, Acting Chief, Division of Wildlife Research 1980-81; Director, CRC for Biological Control of Vertebrate Pest Populations; adjunct professor, Australian National University. Clarke Medal, Royal Society of New South Wales 1975; Troughton Medal, Australian Mammal Society 1982; Honorary Member, Royal Society of New Zealand 1982; Fellow, Australian Academy of Science 1986; CSIRO Medal 1987. Sometime president, Australian Mammal Society. Member, Board of Standards, Australian Journals of Scientific Research 1978-84; Chairman of Advisory Committee, Australian Journal of Zoology 1978-84; General Editor for series of five books "Monographs on Marsupial Biology", Cambridge University Press 1980.
- Tyndale-Biscoe , C. H., 'Graeme James Caughley 1937-1994', Historical Records of Australian Science, vol. 12, no. 3, 1999, pp. 363-381. Also available at http://www.publish.csiro.au/paper/HR9991230363.htm. Details
- Tyndale-Biscoe, C. H., Calaby, J. H. and Davies, S. J. J. F., 'Harold James Frith 1921-1982', Historical Records of Australian Science, vol. 10, no. 3, 1995, pp. 247-263. Also available at http://www.publish.csiro.au/paper/HR9951030247.htm. Details
- Fenner, Frank, 'Interview with Dr Hugh Tyndale-Biscoe', in Interviews with Australian scientists, Australian Academy of Science, 23 September 1999, http://www.science.org.au/scientists/interviews/t/htb.html. Details
- 'Tyndale-Biscoe, Hugh (1929-)', Trove, National Library of Australia, 2009, http://nla.gov.au/nla.party-995911. Details
- Tyndale-Biscoe, Hugh, 'Interview with Professor Marilyn Renfree', in Interviews with Australian scientists, Australian Academy of Science, 20 June 2000, http://www.science.org.au/scientists/interviews/r/mr.html. Details
- Tyndale-Biscoe, Hugh, 'Interview with Professor Helene Marsh', in Interviews with Australian scientists, Australian Academy of Science, 3 October 2000, http://www.science.org.au/scientists/interviews/m/hm.html. Details
- Ward, C., 'Cecil Hugh Tyndale-Biscoe', in CSIROpedia, Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO), 2011, https://csiropedia.csiro.au/Tyndale-Biscoe-Cecil-Hugh. Details
Created: 25 May 2001, Last modified: 9 August 2012