Biographical entry Le Souef, John Cecil (1905 - 1982)
- 5 November 1905
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
- 21 June 1982
John Cecil Le Souef was an amateur entomologist with a particular interest in Lepidoptera. He was very active in the Entomological Society of Victoria and edited Victorian Entomologist for several years.
Born 5 November 1905. Died 21 June 1982. Amateur entomologist. Worked as a jackaroo, owner of a cordial factory at Kyabram, ran a village store at Blairgowrie from 1953, later founded the Rosebud Aquarium. Major driving force in the Entomological Society of Victoria, being largely responsible for it being reformed in 1961. Edited Victorian Entomologist for several years. Had a particular interest in Lepidoptera and is commemorated by the skipper Hesperilla crypsargyra lesouefi Tindale. Rotary Paul Harris Fellowship ca 1981.
State Library of Victoria, Australian Manuscripts Collection
- Le Souëf Family Archives - Records, MS 13490; State Library of Victoria, Australian Manuscripts Collection. Details
Encyclopedia of Australian Science Exhibitions
- Australasian Science, A Bright Sparcs Exhibition, Australian Science Archives Project, 1997, http://www.asap.unimelb.edu.au/bsparcs/exhib/journal/journal.htm. Details
- Le Souef, J. C., 'Best, Dudley Robert William (1844-1928), naturalist', in Bede Nairn and Geoffrey Serle (eds), Australian Dictionary of Biography, vol. 7, Melbourne University Press, Melbourne, 1979, p. 280. Also available at http://www.adb.online.anu.edu.au/biogs/A070283b.htm. Details
- 'Le Souef, John Cecil (19051105-19820621)', Trove, National Library of Australia, 2009, http://nla.gov.au/nla.party-1476774. Details
- O'Sullivan, Lisa, 'The Le Soeuf Family Tradition', Australasian Science, vol. Winter, 1995, http://www.asap.unimelb.edu.au/bsparcs/exhib/journal/as_lesouef.htm. Details
Created: 30 June 1997, Last modified: 4 July 2012