Biographical entry Sutherland, Alexander (1852 - 1902)
- 26 March 1852
- 9 August 1902
Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
- Headmaster and Journalist
Alexander Sutherland was Headmaster, Carlton College, Melbourne, 1877-1892. In 1883 he headed the campaign for a science degree at the University of Melbourne.
Born Glasgow, Scotland, 26 March 1852. Died Adelaide, 9 August 1902. Educated University of Melbourne (BA 1874, MA 1875). Mathematical master, Scotch College 1875-76; Headmaster, Carlton College, Melbourne, 1877-92; leader writer for the Argus and Australian 1895-97 and other journalistic activities till 1901; registrar, University of Melbourne 1901, registrar and lecturer in English 1902. Founder and coeditor, Melbourne Review. Lectured on Shakespeare and other literary subjects at Mechanics' institutes. Wrote History of Australia from 1606 to 1876 (1879, with his brother George , q.v.). Honorary secretary, Royal Society of Victoria 1878-85, 1892.
- Northcott, P.H., 'Sutherland, Alexander (1852-1902), journalist and schoolmaster' in Australian Dictionary of Biography, Bede Nairn, ed., vol. 6 (Melbourne: Melbourne University Press, 1976), pp. 222-223. http://www.adb.online.anu.edu.au/biogs/A060240b.htm. Details
- Hughes, K.L., 'The A.K. Sutherland Oration', Australian Veterinary Journal, 72 (1995), 361-363. Details
- Wikidata, http://www.wikidata.org/entity/Q4720185. Details
- VIAF - Virtual International Authority File, OCLC, https://viaf.org/viaf/100333571. Details
- 'Sutherland, Alexander (1852-1902)', Trove, National Library of Australia, 2009, https://nla.gov.au/nla.party-532218. Details
- 'Sutherland, Alexander', in Physics in Australia to 1945, R.W. Home, with the assistance of Paula J. Needham, Australian Science Archives Project, June 1995, http://www.asap.unimelb.edu.au/bsparcs/physics/P001817p.htm. Details
Created: 20 October 1993, Last modified: 9 August 2012
- Foundation Supporter - Committee to Review Australian Studies in Tertiary Education