Biographical entry Sutherland, George (1855 - 1905)
- 1 October 1855
- 1 December 1905
Kew, Victoria, Australia
- Inventor and Journalist
George Sutherland was engaged from 1880, in what he described as 'technological journalism', beginning with descriptions of promising inventions. His daughter, Margaret, became a prominent Australian composer and his brother, William, a leading chemist.
Born Dumbarton, Scotland, 1 October 1855. Died Kew, Victoria, 1 December 1905. Educated University of Melbourne (BA 1877, MA 1879). Junior teacher, private secondary schools; humanities teacher, Carlton College; journalist, South Australian Register 1881-1901; editorial staff, Melbourne Age 1902-05. Wrote a number of books, including History of Australia from 1606 to 1876 (1879, with his brother Alexander, q.v.) and Twentieth Century Inventions. A Forecast (1901), which included his own patented and successful photographic engraving process, rapid-printing newspapers portraits process and ore concentrators, as well as a discussion of inventions in other fields.
National Library of Australia Manuscript Collection
- George Sutherland - Records, 1855 - 1905; National Library of Australia Manuscript Collection. Details
Encyclopedia of Australian Science Exhibitions
- Collins, David, Chemistry in Australia Bibliography, eScholarship Research Centre, 2009, http://www.eoas.info/ciab.html. Details
- Mellor, Suzanne G., 'Sutherland, George (1855-1905), journalist', in Bede Nairn (ed.), Australian Dictionary of Biography, vol. 6, Melbourne University Press, Melbourne, 1976, p. 223. Also available at http://www.adb.online.anu.edu.au/biogs/A060241b.htm. Details
- Sutherland, George, 'Wet Treatment for Copper and Gold in Australia', Report of the Fifth Meeting of the Australasian Association for the Advancement of Science, vol. 5, Australasian Association for the Advancement of Science, Sydney, 1893, p. 316. Details
Created: 20 October 1993, Last modified: 4 July 2012
- Foundation Supporter - Committee to Review Australian Studies in Tertiary Education