Biographical entry Bryan, Walter Heywood (1891 - 1966)
- 26 August 1891
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
- 10 March 1966
Walter Bryan was a member of the Queensland Geological Survey 1914-1915 and from 1920 was a member of the Geology Department of the University of Queensland. He was later a fellow of the Australian National Research Council and the Queensland State Camouflage Committee.
Born Brisbane, 26 August 1891. MC. Educated Universities of Queensland and Cambridge (DSc). Officer, Queensland Geological Survey 1914-15; Australian Imperial Forces 1915-18; lecturer in geology, University of Queensland 1921-44, acting professor 1945, associate professor 1946-47, professor 1947-59; professor emeritus 1960- . W.B. Clarke Memorial Lecturer, Royal Society of New South Wales 1944. President, Royal Society of Queensland 1924; president, Geological Section, ANZAAS 1946; foundation member and first chairman, Queensland Division, Geological Society of Australia. Officer in charge, Queensland Seismological Station, from its establishment in 1937.
- 'Walter Heywood Bryan', Queensland Naturalist, vol. 18, no. 1/2, 1966, pp. 34-35. Details
- Bryan, W. H., 'H. C. Richards Memorial Address', Proceedings of the Royal Society of Queensland, vol. lix, no. 5, 1947, pp. 141-150. Details
- Bryan, W. H., 'Obituary: Professor H. C. Richards', Australian Journal of Science, vol. 10, no. 1, 1947, pp. 13-14. Details
- Hill, Dorothy, 'Memorial: Walter Heywood Bryan, M.C., D.Sc 1891-1966', Journal of the Geological Society of Australia, vol. 13, no. 2, 1966, pp. 613-618. Details
Created: 20 October 1993, Last modified: 13 February 2018
- Foundation Supporter - Committee to Review Australian Studies in Tertiary Education