Biographical entry Lord, Clive Errol (1889 - 1933)
- 6 October 1889
Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
- 15 July 1933
Sandy Bay, Tasmania, Australia
- Naturalist, Museum curator and Ornithologist
Clive Lord worked for the Tasmanian Museum 1917-1933, being director of the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery 1923-1933. He was also secretary of the Royal Botanic Gardens for many years.
Born Hobart, 6 October 1889. Died Hobart, 15 July 1933. Educated as an architect, becoming a Fellow, Royal Australian Institute of Architects. Assistant curator, Tasmanian Museum 1917-21, curator 1921-23; director, Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery 1923-33. Tasmanian representative, centenary celebrations of the British Association for the Advancement of Science 1931; secretary of the Royal Botanical Gardens for many years, reorganising the gardens after 1931. First secretary, Mount Field National Park Board from 1916; partly responsible for the creation of Cradle Mountain Park; foundation member 1928-33, administering board for the Animals and Birds Protection Act of 1928; partly responsible for Macquarie Island being proclaimed a wildlife reserve; foundation member, Tasmanian Sea Fisheries Board and the Salmon and Freshwater Fisheries Commission. Royal Society of Tasmania medal 1930. Foundation member 1904 and later president, Tasmanian Field Naturalists' Club; President, Royal Australasian Ornithologists' Union 1931-32; secretary, Royal Society of Tasmania for 15 years. Wrote The Early Explorers of Tasmania (1920) and A Synopsis of the Vertebrate Animals of Tasmania (1924, with H.H. Scott). Active in local organisations, including the Hobart Development League and the Hobart Rotary Club. Commemorated by the C.E. Lord Medal of the Royal Society of Tasmania.
- Thwaites, Jack, 'Lord, Clive Errol (1889-1933), Naturalist and Museum Director', in Bede Nairn and Geoffrey Serle (eds), Australian Dictionary of Biography, vol. 10, Melbourne University Press, Melbourne, 1986, pp. 144-145. Also available at http://www.adb.online.anu.edu.au/biogs/A100137b.htm. Details
- Fenton, Janet, 'Clive Lord (1889-1933): Naturalist, Museum Curator, Ornithologist', Tasmanian Naturalist, vol. 130, 2008, pp. 62-6. Details
- Reynolds, J., 'Clive E. Lord, F.L.S. 1889 - 1933', Papers and Proceedings of the Royal Society of Tasmania, vol. 1933, 1934, pp. 99-102. Details
- 'Lord, Clive E (1889-1933)', Trove, National Library of Australia, 2009, http://nla.gov.au/nla.party-631367. Details
- Robin, Libby, The Flight of the Emu: a Hundred Years of Australian Ornithology 1901-2001, Melbourne University Press, Melbourne, 2001, 492 pp. Details
McCarthy, G.J. & Rosanne Walker
Created: 20 October 1993, Last modified: 26 February 2018
- Foundation Supporter - Birds Australia