Biographical entry Sprent, John Frederick Adrian (1915 - 2010)
- 23 July 1915
- 1 November 2010
Moggill, Queensland, Australia
- Veterinary scientist
John Frederick A. Sprent was Professor of Parasitology, University of Queensland, 1956-1983. He was interested in ascaridoid nematodes and their host-relationships.
Born London, England, 23 July 1915. CBE 1984. Educated University of London (BSc (hons) 1943; PhD 1945, DSc 1953). Veterinary Research Officer, Colonial Veterinary Service, Nigeria 1942-44; Cooper Centenary Research Fellowship, Ministry of Agriculture Veterinary Laboratories, England 1945-46; University of London Travelling Studentship and Cooper Centenary Research Fellowship, University of Chicago 1946-47; Seymour Coman Research Fellowship in Preventive Medicine, University of Chicago 1947-48; Senior Research Fellow, Ontario Research Foundation 1948-52; Senior Lecturer in Veterinary Parasitology, University of Queensland 1952-54; Research Professor of Parasitology 1954-56, Professor of Parasitology 1956-83, Dean, Faculty of Veterinary Science 1963-69. Fellow, Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons 1960; Payne Exhibition, University of Melbourne 1961; Henry Baldwin Ward Award, American Society of Parasitologists 1962; Fellow, Australian Academy of Science 1964; Mueller Medal, Australian and New Zealand Association for the Advancement of Science 1981; Fellow, Queensland Institute of Medical Research 1981. Foundation President and Fellow, Australian Society for Parasitology; Foundation Fellow, Australian College of Veterinary scientists; Fellow, New York Academy of Sciences; Editor in Chief, International Journal for Parasitology 1974-93.
- Angus, B. M., Cannon, L. G. R. and Adlard, R. D., 'Parasitology and the Queensland Museum, with Biographical Notes on Collectors', Memoirs of the Queensland Museum, Nature, vol. 53, 2007, pp. 1-156. Details
- Bryant, Chris et al., 'John Frederick Adrian Sprent 1915-2010', Historical Records of Australian Science, vol. 24, 2013, pp. 316-38. Details
- Sprent, J. F. A., 'Ronald Harry Wharton 1923-83', Historical Records of Australian Science, vol. 6, no. 2, 1985, pp. 293-301. Also available at http://www.publish.csiro.au/paper/HR9850620293.htm. Details
- Sprent, J. F. A., 'Parasitology in Brisbane', International Journal for Parasitology, vol. 16, no. 4, 1986, pp. 281-5. Details
- Sprent, J.F., 'Harold Marshall Duncan Hoyte 1928-1996', International Journal of Parasitology, vol. 27, 1997, pp. 251-255. Details
- Campbell, Juli, 'Interview with Professor John Sprent', in Interviews with Australian scientists, Australian Academy of Science, 2008, http://science.org.au/scientists/interviews/s/sprent.html. Details
- 'Sprent, J F A (1915-)', Trove, National Library of Australia, 2009, http://nla.gov.au/nla.party-620175. Details
Created: 20 October 1993, Last modified: 11 August 2016
- Foundation Supporter - Committee to Review Australian Studies in Tertiary Education