Biographical entry Quirk, James Patrick (1924 - )
AO, FAA, FTSE
- 17 December 1924
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
- Agricultural scientist
James Patrick Quirk was Reader in Soil Science 1956-62 and the Director of the Waite Agricultural Research Institute 1974-90. He was Professor of Soil Science and Head of Department, University of Western Australia 1963-74. His interests include soil physical chemistry, surface and colloid chemistry and agricultural science.
Born Sydney, 17 December 1924. AO 1983. Educated Universities of Sydney (BScAgr (hons) 1947) and London (PhD 1952, DSc 1967). Senior Research Officer, CSIRO Division of Soils 1947-56; Reader in Soil Science, Waite Agricultural Research Institute, University of Adelaide 1956-62; Foundation Professor of Soil Science and Head, Department of Soil Science and Nutrition, University of Western Australia 1963-74; Western Australia since 1996; Professor Emeritus, University of Adelaide since 1974; Professor Emeritus, University of Western Australia since 1975. Fellow, Royal Australian Chemical Institute 1972; Fellow, Australian Institute of Agricultural Science 1972; Fellow, Australian Academy of Science 1973, Prescott Medal 1975; Australian Institute of Agricultural Science Medal 1980; Fellow, Australian Academy of Technological Sciences and Engineering 1982; Farrer Memorial Medal 1982; Mueller Medal, Australian and New Zealand Association for the Advancement of Science 1988; Distinguished Service Award, American Society of Soil Science 1996; Fellow, Australian and New Zealand Association for the Advancement of Science. President, Australian Society of Soil Science 1964-66; President, Australian Clay Minerals Society 1969-70; Secretary (Biological Sciences), Australian Academy of Science 1990-94.
Waite Agricultural Research Institute
- James Patrick Quirk - Records, 1974 - 1980; Waite Agricultural Research Institute. Details
- Knight, R. and Quirk, J. P., 'Colin Malcolm Donald 1910-1985', Historical Records of Australian Science, vol. 10, no. 1, 1994, pp. 51-60. Also available at http://www.publish.csiro.au/paper/HR9941010051.htm. Details
- Stephens, C. G. and Quirk, J. P., 'James Arthur Prescott, 7 October 1890 - 6 February 1987, elected F.R.S. 1951', Biographical Memoirs Fellows of the Royal Society, vol. 34, 1988, pp. 641-68. Details
- Stephens, C.G. and Quirk, J.P., 'James Arthur Prescott 1890-1987', Historical Records of Australian Science, vol. 7, no. 3, 1988, pp. 299-313. Also available at http://www.publish.csiro.au/paper/HR9880730299.htm. Details
Created: 20 October 1993, Last modified: 10 September 2004
- Foundation Supporter - Committee to Review Australian Studies in Tertiary Education