Biographical entry Brady, Joseph (1828 - 1908)
- 18 August 1828
near Enniskillen, County Fermanagh, Ireland
- 8 July 1908
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
- Civil engineer
Joseph Brady was an engineer on railway and water projects in Queensland, New South Wales and Victoria. One of his most important projects was the development of the Port of Melbourne 1877-91.
Born near Enniskillen, County Fermanagh, Ireland, 18 August 1828. Died Melbourne, 8 July 1908. Title Commutation Survey, England 1842-44; assistant engineer on railway surveys in Kent and Lincolnshire and on the construction of the Skipton, Sedbergh and Lancaster railway 1844-50; draftsman, Sydney Railway Co. 1850; surveys and drawings for the Yan Yean water scheme for Melbourne 1851; assistant engineer, Sydney Railway Co. 1851-57, acting as chief engineer for a time; engineer to the Sandhurst (Bendigo) waterworks, engineer for the Melbourne to Sandhurst railway, survey and design of the Coliban River water supply to the Bendigo and Mount Alexander goldfields 1858-63; navigational improvements, Brisbane and Bremer Rivers between Brisbane and Ipswich 1864; engineer of harbours and rivers, Queensland 1865-67; managed the Brisbane-Dalby railway construction 1867-69; in charge of building the first section of the north-eastern railway line from Melbourne to Seymour 1869-71; engineer, Bendigo waterworks 1871-73; engineer for the Bendigo district of the Goulburn River Water Supply 1873-77; engineer, Melbourne Harbour Trust 1877-91, developing the Port of Melbourne; consultant 1891-94.
John Oxley Library, Manuscripts and Business Records Collection, State Library of Queensland
- Joseph Brady - Records, 1864, OM67-23; John Oxley Library, Manuscripts and Business Records Collection, State Library of Queensland. Details
- Kerr, C. F., 'Brady, Joseph (1828-1908)', in Douglas Pike (ed.), Australian Dictionary of Biography, vol. 3, Melbourne University Press, Melbourne, 1969, pp. 216-217. Also available at http://www.adb.online.anu.edu.au/biogs/A030202b.htm. Details
- 'Brady, Joseph', Trove, National Library of Australia, 2009, http://nla.gov.au/nla.party-1466734. Details
- Academy of Technological Sciences and Engineering, Technology in Australia 1788-1988, Online edn, Australian Science and Technology Heritage Centre, Melbourne, 3 May 2000, http://www.austehc.unimelb.edu.au/tia/index_b.html. Details
- Science and the making of Victoria, with Royal Society of Victoria, 2001, http://www.austehc.unimelb.edu.au/smv/index_b.html. Details
Created: 20 October 1993, Last modified: 10 September 2004
- Foundation Supporter - Committee to Review Australian Studies in Tertiary Education