Corporate entry Melbourne Glass Bottle Works Company (1872 - c. 1915)
South Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
- c. 1915
- Manufacturing Industry
The Melbourne Glass Bottle Works Company was established in Graham Street Emerald Hill (South Melbourne) by Felton Grimwade & Co. in 1872. The plant produced bottles for the company's pharmaceutical products and was the foundation of glass bottle manufacturing in Australia. The company expanded rapidly, moved to Spotswood (Vic), bought out smaller businesses and by the early 1900s had assets in most states.
Some time c.1920s the Melbourne Glass Bottle Works Company was amalgamated into the Australian Glass Manufacturing Co. Ltd. later known as Australian Consolidated Industries.
- Academy of Technological Sciences and Engineering, Technology in Australia 1788-1988, Online edn, Australian Science and Technology Heritage Centre, Melbourne, 3 May 2000, http://www.austehc.unimelb.edu.au/tia/index_m.html. Details
Created: 13 August 2001, Last modified: 27 January 2011
- Foundation Supporter - ARC Learned Academies' Special Projects