Biographical entry Felton, Alfred (1831 - 1904)
- 8 November 1831
Maldon, Essex, England
- 8 January 1904
St Kilda, Victoria, Australia
- Philanthropist and Business executive
Alfred Felton was a very successful businessman during the 1800s. He co-founded numerous businesses with F.S. Grimwade including Felton, Grimwade and Co., Melbourne Glass Bottle Works, an acid works, Adelaide Chemical Works Co. and J. Bosisto & Co. The Adelaide Chemical Works Co. was the only one of their business ventures that failed. Felton was also a philanthropist and set up trust funds worth hundreds of thousands of pounds to be administered by the Felton Bequests' Committee. The money was for Melbourne charities and for the Melbourne National Art Gallery.
- Life event - Migrated to Australia (Victoria)
- 1857 - 1861
- Career position - Commission Agent and general dealer in Victoria
- Career position - Wholesale druggist in Swanston Street
- Career position - Established Felton, Grimwade and Co. wholesale drug house
- Career position - Established the Melbourne Glass Bottle Works and an acid works
- Career position - Established the Adelaide Chemical Works Co.
- Career position - Established J. Bosisto & Co.
- Career position - Merger of the acid works with Cuming Smith & Co.
Australia and New Zealand Banking Group Limited
- Alfred Felton - Records; Australia and New Zealand Banking Group Limited. Details
The University of Melbourne Archives
- Alfred Felton - Records; The University of Melbourne Archives. Details
Encyclopedia of Australian Science Exhibitions
- McCarthy, Gavan; Smith, Ailie; Moje, Christine; Rigby, Rebecca, The Study of Australian Eucalypts, eScholarship Research Centre, 2013, http://www.eoas.info/eucalypts/index.html. Details
- Wrigley, J. and Fagg, M., Eucalypts: A Celebration, Allen & Unwin, Crows Nest Australia, 2010, 344 pp. Details
- Poynter, J. R., 'Felton, Alfred (1831-1904)', in Douglas Pike (ed.), Australian Dictionary of Biography, vol. 4, Melbourne University Press, Melbourne, 1972, p. 162. Also available at http://www.adb.online.anu.edu.au/biogs/A040171b.htm. Details
- 'Felton, Alfred (1831-1904)', Trove, National Library of Australia, 2009, http://nla.gov.au/nla.party-1464232. Details
- Academy of Technological Sciences and Engineering, Technology in Australia 1788-1988, Online edn, Australian Science and Technology Heritage Centre, Melbourne, 3 May 2000, http://www.austehc.unimelb.edu.au/tia/index_f.html. Details
Created: 20 October 1993, Last modified: 4 July 2012
- Foundation Supporter - Committee to Review Australian Studies in Tertiary Education