Published Resources Details Conference Paper
- The Introduction of Monier Arch Bridges to Victoria
- First International and Eighth Australian Engineering Heritage Conference 1996: Shaping Our Future; Proceedings
- Institution of Engineers, Australia, Barton, Australian Capital Territory, 1996, pp. 29-35
In practical terms the Monier arch bridge was introduced to Victoria by the Sydney firm Carter Gummow and Co. and their Victorian representatives Monash and Anderson from 1897 onwards. The German background of key members of these firms played an important part in the process of technology transfer from Europe to Australia. Although the long battle to establish the reliability of reinforced concrete construction was making progress there were still pockets of misunderstanding and resistance even in Europe. A Royal Commission into the Public Works Department of New South Wales in 1896 provided an opportunity to justify the new medium and the Monier Arch in particular, but some resistance still remained to be overcome in Victoria based on technical grounds, suspicion of commercial practices and scarcity of capital. The enthusiastic support of certain local engineers and community representatives helped overcome this opposition. This was achieved despite remaining doubts about the theory of reinforced concrete and the partial collapse of one of the bridges in May, 1901.
Related Published resources
- First International and Eighth Australian Engineering Heritage Conference 1996: Shaping Our Future; Proceedings (Barton, Australian Capital Territory: Institution of Engineers, Australia, 1996), 210 pp, https://search.informit.com.au/browsePublication;res=IELENG;isbn=0858256614. Details