Biographical entry Dovers, Robert George (Bob) (c. 1922 - 1981)
- c. 1922
Wollongong, New South Wales, Australia
- 3 December 1981
New South Wales, Australia
- Antarctic explorer, Cartographer and Surveyor
Robert Dovers was a surveyor with the first Australian National Antarctic Research Expeditions (ANARE) to Heard Island in 1947-48, drawing up a map of the Island. Then again in 1949 with the ANARE expedition to Macquarie Island. In 1951 he joined a party of seven Frenchman as Surveyor/Cartographer and husky trainer, for 14 months at Terre Adelie in Antarctica. On his return to Australia, he was appointed Office-in-Charge and Surveyor for the first Australian wintering party on the Antarctic Continent, 1954-1955, setting up the base that still operates as Mawson Station. During this period he was responsible for the discovery of the Prince Charles Mountains.
Bob Dovers' extensive survey work is commemorated by the following placenames on Heard Island and Antarctica:
Dovers Crater, Heard Island - a volcanic crater on Azorella Peninsula.
Dovers Moraine, Heard Island - a moraine ridge on the eastern side of the Stephenson Glacier.
Dovers Peak, Antarctica - one of the Stinear Nunataks in Mac.Robertson Land. Discovered in 1954 by the ANARE party led by Robert G. Dovers, after whom it is named.
Dovers Glacier, Antarctica, a glacier extending WNW into the south-eastern side of Stefansson Bay in Kemp Land, (Renamed after Bob Dovers.)
- Career event - Fellow, Royal Geographical Society
- Award - Officer, Académie des sciences
- Nov 1949 -
- Career position - Coroner, Tasmania
- 1951 - 1952
- Career position - Surveyor/Cartographer, French Expedition, Adelie Land, Antarctica
- 1953 - 1955
- Career position - Officer-in-Charge, Mawson Station, Antarctica
- 1 Mar 1955
- Award - Polar Medal, For services with the French Antarctic Expeditions to Adelie Land 1951, 1952
- c. 1956
- Award - Mrs Patrick Ness Award, Royal Geographical Society, London, for geographical exploration and investigation
- 24 Jan 1956
- Award - Clasp to the Polar Medal, for services with ANARE to Mawson 1954-55
- Dovers, Robert, Huskies, G. Bell and Sons, London, 1957, 219 pp. Details
Created: 13 September 2018, Last modified: 9 January 2019