Biographical entry Squire, Ross Ormond (1942 - )
- 16 February 1942
Heywood, Victoria, Australia
- Forest scientist
Dr Ross Squire spent his 48-year career in forestry research and education. His work with the Victorian Government included management of forests research and education programs, including research on long-term productivity of pine plantations and the silviculture and management of eucalypts. He has published extensively on silvicultural management including eucalypt plantations and native forests, and was a referee and editor of a special issue of Australian Forestry, a regional journal of forestry science and forest management.
Ross commenced his career as a Research Officer, Research Branch, Forests Commission, Victoria. The Commission was amalgamated with various other State Government Departments from the mid-1980s. In 1993, the name of the amalgamated entity was the Department of Conservation and Environment.
Ross Squire's work of 30 years with the Victorian Government culminated when he had full responsibility for the management of both the Forests Research Program, and the Victorian School of Forestry and Land Management. He led the design and implementation of two major multi-disciplinary silvicultural research projects in Victoria: Maintenance of Long-term Productivity of Radiata Pine Plantations (1970s to 1980s), and Silvicultural Systems Project and Value Adding Utilisation System Trial in Victoria's native eucalypt forests (mid-1980 to early 1990s).
He worked privately for a further 18 years, directing a consulting company specialising in silviculture and education. From 2001-2002, he assisted CSIRO Forests and Forests Products to develop and manage a project for the Australian Greenhouse Office to describe the effects of management practices in Australia on carbon stocks in the nation's forest estate. He became a Churchill Fellow in 1976 and in the early 1990s was forestry representative on CSIRO's former Agricultural Sector Advisory Committee.
In 2011, Ross Squire was invited to edit, referee, and write the Foreword for the special issue FORESTCHECK of Australian Forestry, comprising 10 papers on the conservation of biodiversity in the Jarrah (Eucalyptus marginata) forests of south-west Western Australia.
- Education - Diploma of Forestry (Creswick)
- Education - Bachelor of Science (Forestry), University of Melbourne
- 1965 - 1971
- Career position - Silvicultural Research, Victorian Government (Vic. Gov.)
- 1972 - 1976
- Career position - Silvicultural Research/Lecturer in Silviculture, based at The Victorian School of Forestry, Creswick (V.S.F.)
- Education - Master of Science (Forestry), University of Melbourne
- Award - Churchill Fellow, Winston Churchill Memorial Trust
- 1977 - 1991
- Career position - Silvicultural Research, Vic. Gov., based at V.S.F.
- Education - PhD, School of Botany, University of Melbourne
- Career event - Promoted to Super Scientist I, the highest Research Scientist classification held at that time by a forest scientist
- 1990 - 1993
- Career position - Silvicultural Research. Manager, then Principal, Victorian School of Forestry and Land Management.
- Career event - Editor and Referee, Australian Forestry Special Issue: FORESTCHECK
Encyclopedia of Australian Science Exhibitions
- McCarthy, Gavan; Smith, Ailie; Moje, Christine; Rigby, Rebecca, The Study of Australian Eucalypts, eScholarship Research Centre, 2013, http://www.eoas.info/eucalypts/index.html. Details
- Squire, R. O., Campbell, R. G., Wareing, K. J., and Featherston, G. R., 'The mountain ash forests of Victoria: ecology, silviculture and management for wood production.', in McKinnell, Hopkins and Fox (eds), Forest Management in Australia, Surrey Beatty & Sons, Sydney, NSW, 1991, pp. 38-57. Details
- McKinnell, E.R. Hopkins, Fox, J.E.D. (ed.), Forest Management in Australia, Surrey Beatty & Sons in association with Institute of Foresters of Australia, Western Australian Division, Chipping Norton, NSW, 1991. The mountain ash forests of Victoria: ecology, silviculture and management for wood production. Details
- Raison, R.J. and Squire, R.O. (eds), Forest Management in Australia: Implications for carbon budgets. Part 1 of 2. NCAS Technical Report No. 32, Commonwealth of Australia, Australian Greenhouse Office, Canberra, 2007, 400 pp. Section 1: Overview and Integration (pp 1-48); Section 3: Victoria (pp. 103-146). Details
- Squire, Ross (ed.), 'The FORESTCHECK project', Australian Forestry, vol. 74, no. 4, 2011, 240-365 pp. Details
- Kellas, J.D., Edgar, J.G. and Squire, R.O., 'Response of messmate stringybark regrowth to release in irregular stands of mixed eucalypts.', Australian Forestry, vol. 50, 1987, pp. 253-259.. Details
- Kellas, J.D., Incoll, W.D. and Squire, R.O., 'Reduction in basal increment of Eucalyptus obliqua following crown scorch.', Australian Forestry, vol. 47, 1984, pp. 179-183. Details
- Squire, R.O., Flinn, D.W. and Campbell, R. G., 'Silvicultural research for sustained wood production and biosphere conservation in the pine plantations and native eucalypt forests of south-eastern Australia.', Australian Forestry, vol. 54, 1991, pp. 120-133. Details
- Squire, R.O., Geary, P.W., and Lutze, M.T., 'The East Gippsland Silvicultural Systems Project. I The establishment of the project in lowland forest.', Australian Forestry, vol. 69, 2006, pp. 167-181. Details
- Squire, R.O., Report on the Progress of the Silvicultural Systems Project: July 1986 to June 1989., Department of Conservation and Environment, Victoria, 1990, 85 pp. Details
- Squire, R.O., First Interim Report for the Value Adding Utilisation System Trial., Department of Conservation and Environment, East Melbourne, Vic., 1992, 135 pp. Details
- Squire, R.O., Dexter, B.D., Eddy, A. R., Fagg, P.C. and Campbell, R.G., Regeneration silviculture for Victoria's eucalypt forests. Silvicultural Systems Project., Department of Conservation and Environment, Victoria, 1991, 38 pp. Details
- 'Squire, Ross Ormond, by Ross Squire and Peter Fagg', The Study of Australian Eucalypts: Forestry, with Fagg, P.C. et al., eScholarship Research Centre, 16 December 2013, http://www.eoas.info/eucalypts/forestry.html. Details
- 'Squire, Ross Ormond (19420216-)', Trove, National Library of Australia, 2009, http://nla.gov.au/nla.party-625968. Details
Ross Squire, Peter Fagg, Christine Moje
Created: 28 January 2014, Last modified: 10 July 2014