Biographical entry Allen, Charles Ernest Frank (1876 - 1936?)
- 2 July 1876
- Agricultural expert, Botanical collector and Public servant
Charles Allen was a promoter of the economic importance of agricultural and botanical knowledge. Among other public service roles, Charles Allen was Curator of the Northern Territory Botanical Gardens from 1913 to 1936. Upon his return from service in the Australian Expeditionary Force (1915-1919) he was appointed Superintendent of Agriculture within the Northern Territory Department of Agriculture. In 1920 he was named as an Inspector under the Plant Diseases Ordinance. Some of the botanical specimens he collected were sent to J.H. Maiden, others were given to the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew, England.
- 7 October 1913
- Career event - Appointed as Curator of the Botanical Gardens, Darwin, Northern Territory
- Career event - Appointed Superintendent of Agriculture, N.T. Department of Agriculture
- Career event - Appointed Inspector under the Plant Diseases Ordinance
- Taxonomy event - Eucalyptus microtheca var. cymbaliformis Blakely & Jacobs. Allen was joint collector of the species type.
- Taxonomy event - Eucalyptus cyanoclada Blakely was described, of which Allen collected the type.
- 21 February 1936
- Career event - Retired from the public service
Encyclopedia of Australian Science Exhibitions
- McCarthy, Gavan; Smith, Ailie; Moje, Christine; Rigby, Rebecca, The Study of Australian Eucalypts, eScholarship Research Centre, 2013, http://www.eoas.info/eucalypts/index.html. Details
- 'Allen, Charles Ernest Frank (18760702-19361231)', Trove, National Library of Australia, 2009, http://nla.gov.au/nla.party-1491906. Details
- Hall, Norman, Botanists of the Eucalypts: short biographies of people who have named eucalypts, whose names have been given to species or who have collected type material, CSIRO, Melbourne, 1978, 101 pp. Details
Rebecca Rigby and Neville Walsh
Created: 21 June 2012, Last modified: 8 April 2014
- Foundation and Current Supporter - Bjarne K Dahl Trust