Biographical entry Cloez, Francois Stanislas (1817 - 1883)
- 24 June 1817
- 12 October 1883
Francois Cloez was a French chemist whose interests included the analysis of eucalypt leaves and essential oils. In 1870, Francis Cloez identified the major constituent of eucalyptus oil, now generally known as cineole. Cloez was honoured in 1878 by Ferdinand von Mueller in naming a Eucalypt species Eucalyptus cloeziana.
- Taxonomy event - Honoured with Eucalyptus cloeziana F.Muell.
Encyclopedia of Australian Science Exhibitions
- McCarthy, Gavan; Smith, Ailie; Moje, Christine; Rigby, Rebecca, The Study of Australian Eucalypts, eScholarship Research Centre, 2013, http://www.eoas.info/eucalypts/index.html. Details
- Mueller, Ferdinand Baron von, Fragmenta phytographiae Australiae (1858-82), auctoritate gubern. coloni Victori, ex officina Joannis Ferres, Melbourne, 1858. Details
- Wrigley, J. and Fagg, M., Eucalypts: A Celebration, Allen & Unwin, Crows Nest Australia, 2010, 344 pp. Details
- Mueller, Ferdinand Baron von, 'Myrtaceae. Eucalyptus cloeziana F.Muell.', in Ferdinand Baron von Mueller (ed.), Fragmenta phytographiae Australiae (1858-82), vol. 11, auctoritate gubern. coloni Victori, ex officina Joannis Ferres, Melbourne, 1878, p. 44. Details
- 'Cloez Francois Stanislas (18170624-18831012)', Trove, National Library of Australia, 2009, http://nla.gov.au/nla.party-1491608. Details
- Hall, Norman, Botanists of the Eucalypts: short biographies of people who have named eucalypts, whose names have been given to species or who have collected type material, CSIRO, Melbourne, 1978, 101 pp. Details
Created: 19 June 2012, Last modified: 16 April 2014
- Foundation and Current Supporter - Bjarne K Dahl Trust