Biographical entry Cavanilles, Antonio Jose (1745 - 1804)
- 16 January 1745
- 4 May 1804
- Botanist and Taxonomist
A leading taxonomic botanist in Spain, Antonio Cavanilles described a number of Australian plants, including the genus Angophora (closely related to Corymbia and Eucalyptus) in his six-volume work Icones et Descriptiones Plantarum (1791-1801). Corymbia is regarded by some, particularly Ian Brooker, as a subgenus of Eucalyptus, but retained as distinct by most botanists.
- Taxonomy event - Described the genus Angophora Cav.
- 1791 - 1801
- Career event - Illustration of his work Descriptiones Plantarum
- Taxonomy event - Eucalyptus salicifolia Cav.
- Taxonomy event - Eucalyptus racemosa Cav.
- Taxonomy event - Eucalyptus corymbosa Cav. (= Eucalyptus gummifera (Gaertn.) Hochr. (1925))
- Taxonomy event - Eucalyptus platypodos Cav. (= Eucalyptus botryoides Sm. (1797))
Encyclopedia of Australian Science Exhibitions
- McCarthy, Gavan; Smith, Ailie; Moje, Christine; Rigby, Rebecca, The Study of Australian Eucalypts, eScholarship Research Centre, 2013, http://www.eoas.info/eucalypts/index.html. Details
- Cavanilles, Antonio José, Icones et descriptiones plantarum [six volumes] (Lehre: J. Cramer, 1965). Details
- Wrigley, J. and Fagg, M., Eucalypts: A Celebration (Crows Nest Australia: Allen & Unwin, 2010), 344 pp. Details
- Salkin, A. I., 'Short History of the Discovery and Naming of Banksias in Eastern Australia: Part 4, The Abbe Antonia Jose Cavanilles, Robert Brown and Franz W. Sieber', Victorian Naturalist, 98 (5) (1981), 191-194. Details
- Wikidata, http://www.wikidata.org/entity/Q545430. Details
- VIAF - Virtual International Authority File, OCLC, https://viaf.org/viaf/100161751. Details
- 'Cavanilles, Antonio José (17450116-18040504)', Trove, National Library of Australia, 2009, https://nla.gov.au/nla.party-1037030. Details
- Hall, Norman, Botanists of the Eucalypts: short biographies of people who have named eucalypts, whose names have been given to species or who have collected type material (Melbourne: CSIRO, 1978), 101 pp. Details
Christine Moje and Neville Walsh
Created: 8 June 2012, Last modified: 14 February 2014
- Foundation and Current Supporter - Bjarne K Dahl Trust