Biographical entry Garson, Mary (1953 - )
PhD MA (Cantab), FRACI, MRSC, C.Chem
- Author, Chemist and Educator
Mary Garson is a Professor of Chemistry at the University of Queensland.
Her research focuses on the chemistry and natural bioactivity of secondary metabolites.
She has received more than $3 million in funding across over 25 peer-reviewed research grants.
She has written over 140 publications in her field including articles, book chapters and conference proceedings.
In 2011, RACI awarded Garson the Leighton Memorial Medal.
She is also acknowledged in the naming of a flatworm species she was the first to collect at Heron Island, Maritigrella marygarsonae.
- Education - BA(Hons), University Cambridge
- Education - PhD (Thesis The Biosynthesis of Polyketides), University Cambridge
- 1977 - 1978
- Career position - Overseas Research Fellow of the Royal Society in Rome, Italy
- Education - MA (Honours), University Cambridge
- 1978 - 1981
- Career position - Research Fellow at New Hall, Cambridge
- 1981 - 1983
- Career position - Medicinal Chemist, Smith Kline and French Research. Ltd., Welwyn, UK
- 1983 - 1985
- Career position - Queen Elizabeth II Research Fellow at James Cook University of North Queensland
- Career position - Senior Lecturer, Department of Chemistry, University of Wollongong
- 1990 - 1991
- Career position - Lecturer, The University of Queensland
- Career event - Fellow of the Royal Australian Chemical Institute
- 1992 - 1997
- Career position - Senior Lecturer, The University of Queensland
- 1998 - 2005
- Career position - Reader, The University of Queensland
- Career event - Member, Australian Delegation to UNESCO World Conference on Science, Budapest
- 1999 - 2001
- Career position - Executive Secretary, World Chemistry Congress
- 2002 - 2004
- Career event - Chair, Rio Tinto Australian Science Olympiads
- Career position - Deputy Head, School of Molecular and Microbial Sciences, The University of Queensland
- Career event - Inaugural Chair, Australian Science Innovations (previously Rio Tinto Australian Science Olympiads)
- 2006 -
- Career position - Professor of Chemistry, The University of Queensland
- 2006 - 2009
- Career position - Titular Member, Division III (Organic) International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry
- 2008 - 2009
- Career position - Secretary, Division III (Organic) International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry
- Award - Leighton Memorial Medal
Encyclopedia of Australian Science Exhibitions
- McCarthy, Gavan; Morgan, Helen; Smith, Ailie; van den Bosch, Alan, Where are the Women in Australian Science?, Australian Science and Technology Heritage Centre, 2003, http://www.austehc.unimelb.edu.au/wisa/wisa.html. Details
- Hooker, Claire, Irresistible Forces: Australian Women in Science, Melbourne University Press, Carlton, 2004, 215 pp. Details
- 'Leighton Memorial Medal - Professor Mary Garson', in 2011 Award Winners, Royal Australian Chemical Institute, 2011, http://www.raci.org.au/events-awards/award-winners-2011/leighton-memorial-medal. Details
- 'Garson, Mary (1953-)', Trove, National Library of Australia, 2009, http://nla.gov.au/nla.party-1491914. Details
Created: 18 January 2012, Last modified: 3 October 2012