Biographical entry Jackson, Mavis (1913 - 2000)
- 21 July 1913
- 6 August 2000
Mavis Jackson established the cytology unit at the Alfred Hospital in 1962 and headed it until 1977. She was also a President of the Lyceum Club (1973-1975), founder of the University of Melbourne's International House (Chair from 1973-1979) and was heavily involved in community work. In 1967 her service to the community was recognized with an appointment as a Member of the Order of the British Empire (MBE) and again in 1977 when she was awarded the Queen's Jubilee Medal.
"Mrs Mavis Jackson made a long and lasting contribution to International House before its opening and after that time. To help with fundraising she formed the Medical Wives' Group, then formed the Central Group of which she was President for 13 years. She was a member of the founding committee of the House which was established in 1950, was a member of the International House Council from 1955-1979 and was first female chair of the Council from 1973-1979. Indeed she was the first woman to become chair of a former all-men's college in Australia. Her portrait hangs in the dining hall." Taken from the International House website.
Encyclopedia of Australian Science Exhibitions
- McCarthy, Gavan; Morgan, Helen; Smith, Ailie; van den Bosch, Alan, Where are the Women in Australian Science?, Australian Science and Technology Heritage Centre, 2003, http://www.austehc.unimelb.edu.au/wisa/wisa.html. Details
- Wikidata, http://www.wikidata.org/entity/Q38312547. Details
- 'Jackson, Mavis (19130721-20000806)', Trove, National Library of Australia, 2009, https://nla.gov.au/nla.party-740070. Details
Created: 4 October 2006, Last modified: 7 February 2011