Biographical entry Lennox, David (1788 - 1873)
- 12 November 1873
New South Wales, Australia
- Bridge builder
David Lennox's arrival in New South Wales opened a new chapter in the bridge-building history of the colony. He built a series of stone bridges, some of which are still standing. In 1844 he moved to Melbourne, where he had charge of all roads, bridges, wharves and ferries, acted as advisory engineer to various government departments and built 53 bridges.
Born Ayr, Scotland. Arrived Sydney 1832; Sub-Inspector of Roads 1832-33; Superintendent of Bridges 1833-43; district surveyor to the Parramatta Council 1843-44; Superintendent of Bridges, Port Phillip District 1844-53. Built a number of stone bridges, including one on the main western road at Lapstone Hill, the Lansdowne Bridge on the main southern road near Liverpool, the Lennox Bridge over the Parramatta River and the first Prince's Bridge over the Yarra River in Melbourne.
- Antill, J. M., 'Lennox, David (1788-1873), bridge-builder' in Australian Dictionary of Biography, Douglas Pike, ed., vol. 2 (Melbourne: Melbourne University Press, 1967), pp. 106-107. http://www.adb.online.anu.edu.au/biogs/A020093b.htm. Details
- Wikidata, http://www.wikidata.org/entity/Q5236489. Details
- 'Lennox, David (1788-1873)', Trove, National Library of Australia, 2009, https://nla.gov.au/nla.party-1464597. Details
- Academy of Technological Sciences and Engineering, Technology in Australia 1788-1988, Online edn, Australian Science and Technology Heritage Centre, Melbourne, 3 May 2000, http://www.austehc.unimelb.edu.au/tia/index_l.html. Details
- Engineers Australia, Wonders never cease: 100 Australian engineering achievements (Barton, Australian Capital Territory: Institution of Engineers, Australia, 2019), 236 pp. p.46. Details
- Institution of Engineers, Australia. Sydney Division. Engineering Heritage Committee, The Historic Engineering Plaques of Australia (Milsons Point, New South Wales: The Institution of Engineers, Australia, 1994), 38 pp. p.15. Lennox's Landsdowne Bridge, Landsdowne, N.S.W. Details
Created: 25 May 2001, Last modified: 1 August 2006
- Foundation Supporter - ARC Learned Academies' Special Projects