Biographical entry Taylor, Stuart Ross (Ross) (1925 - )
- 26 November 1925
Ashburton, New Zealand
Ross Taylor was a Professorial Fellow, Research School of Earth Sciences, Australian National University 1962-1990 and later a Visiting Fellow and Emeritus Professor in the Department of Geology. His research interests include cosmochemistry, geochemistry and planetology.
Born Ashburton, New Zealand, 26 November 1925. Educated University of New Zealand (BSc 1948, MSc 1951), Indiana University (PhD 1954) and University of Oxford (MA 1956, DSc 1978). Departmental Demonstrator, University of Oxford 1954-55; University Demonstrator (Lecturer), Department of Geology and Mineralogy, University of Oxford 1956-58; Senior Lecturer in Geochemistry, University of Cape Town 1958-60; Senior Fellow, Department of Geophysics, Australian National University 1961; Professorial Fellow, Research School of Earth Sciences 1962-90; Principal Investigator for lunar samples, NASA Lunar Program 1970-90. Fellow, Meteoritical Society 1976; Fellow, Australian Academy of Science 1978; Honorary Fellow, Geological Society of India 1978; Honorary Fellow, Geological Society of London 1982; Richard Owen Award, Indiana University, 1986; Norman L. Bowen Award, American Geophysical Union 1988; Honorary Fellow, Royal Society of New Zealand 1989; Goldschmidt Medal, The Geochemical Society 1993; G.K. Gilbert Award in planetology, Geological Society of America 1994; Foreign Associate, United States National Academy of Sciences 1994; Fellow, American Geophysical Union 1995; Clarke Memorial Lecture, Royal Society of New South Wales 1995; Leonard Medal, Meteoritical Society 1998. President, Meteoritical Society 1989-90. Planet Rosstaylor named in his honour by the International Astronomical Union 1997.
- Taylor, S. R., 'Pieces of Another World', Sky and Space, 7 (4) (1994), 24-27. Details
- Wikidata, http://www.wikidata.org/entity/Q7627048. Details
- VIAF - Virtual International Authority File, OCLC, https://viaf.org/viaf/108589885. Details
- 'Taylor, Stuart Ross (1925-)', Trove, National Library of Australia, 2009, https://nla.gov.au/nla.party-533863. Details
- Crompton, Bob, 'Interview with Professor Ross Taylor', in Interviews with Australian scientists, Australian Academy of Science, 22 February 2000, http://www.science.org.au/scientists/interviews/t/rt.html. Details
Created: 25 May 2001, Last modified: 2 March 2018