Biographical entry Szekeres, George (1911 - 2005)
- 29 May 1911
- 28 August 2005
Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
George Szekeres was Professor of Mathematics at the University of New South Wales from 1963 until his retirement in 1976. He was heavily involved in setting problems for the high schools mathematics competition run by the University of New South Wales and for the yearly problem competitions for undergraduate students organised by the Sydney University Mathematics Society. His research was in the area of number theory, combinatorics and analysis.
After completing a Diploma in Chemical Engineering at the Technological University in Budapest, George Szekeres worked in a leather factory in Hungary for several years. He and his wife Esther then fled to China in 1939 to escape the rising anti-Semitism in Europe. He soon took up a job working as a leather chemist and then in an American air force base as a clerk.
In 1948 the University of Adelaide offered Szekers a post as Lecturer in Mathematics. That was the start of his career in academia in Australia which lasted just under thirty years. He remained at the University of Adelaide until 1963, when he took up a Professorship in Pure Mathematics at the University of New South Wales. He retired from all academic duties in 1976 and the following year, the university bestowed him with an Honorary Doctor of Science.
George Szekeres was a highly regarded and awarded scientist: The Australian Mathematical Society created the George Szekeres Medal in his honour in 2001 and in 2002 he was appointed a Member of the Order of Australia (AM).
- 1933 - 1939
- Career position - Industrial employment in Hungary
- 1939 - 1948
- Career position - Industrial employment in Shanghai, China
- 1948 - 1963
- Career position - Lecturer then Senior Lecturer then Reader in Mathematics at the University of Adelaide
- 1963 -
- Award - Fellow of the Australian Academy of Science (FAA)
- 1963 - 1976
- Career position - Professor of Mathematics at the University of New South Wales
- Award - Lyle Medal received from the Australian Academy of Science
- 1972 - 1974
- Career position - President of the Australian Mathematical Society
- Life event - Retired
- Education - Honorary Doctor of Science (DSc) received from the University of New South Wales
- Award - Bernhard H. Neumann Award for Excellence in Mathematics Enrichment received from the Australian Mathematics Trust
- Award - George Szekeres Medal of the Australian Mathematical Society created in his honour
- Award - Member of the Order of Australia (AM)
- Award - Centenary Medal received from the Australian Government
- 'Obituaries', Australian Academy of Science Newsletter, vol. 63, August-November, 2005, pp. 10-11. Details
- Jubb, Imogen, Interview with Professor George Szekeres (1911-2005), Interviews with Australian scientists, Australian Academy of Science, 2004, http://www.science.org.au/scientists/interviews/s/szekeres.html. Details
- 'Szekeres, George', Trove, National Library of Australia, 2009, http://nla.gov.au/nla.party-1254819. Details
- Hirschfeld, J. W. P. and Wall, G. E., 'Thomas Gerald Room 1902-1986', Historical Records of Australian Science, vol. 7, no. 1, 1987, pp. 109-122. Also available at http://www.publish.csiro.au/paper/HR9870710109.htm. Details
Rosanne Walker & Annette Alafaci
Created: 25 May 2001, Last modified: 19 December 2005